Chapter Fifteen

Sherlock was a sponge; absorbing every detail from the furthest corners of what he could see, taking photographs with his eyes, sound bites with his ears, storing it all for a time when he could be bothered to sift through it. He allowed his mind to wander, saving himself from the draining task of listening to Miss Crossley talk. And talk. And talk. He had first asked who would want to poison her. Now, he found himself wondering who wouldn't.

"Because it seems like a silly thing, doesn't it? To think you're being poisoned. Which is why I'm almost certain I am being poisoned, otherwise I'd have never come to you. Does that make sense?" said Miss Crossley, clutching the door handle as the black cab swung around a corner.

"Not in the slightest," Sherlock replied.

John held back a chuckle as he looked out of the window, hoping, like Sherlock, that Miss Crossley would allow a moment of silence.

"Have you ever had a case like this before?" She continued. "I mean, you do believe me, don't you? You must do, to even be here, right?"

They turned onto the street of St Bart's Hospital.

"Stop the cab," said Sherlock.

The driver slammed his foot on the brake, squealing to a halt. Miss Crossley and John jolted forwards.

"Come on, John," said Sherlock as he lifted Vaughan who was sitting in his pram down onto the pavement.

"Where are you going?" asked Miss Crossley as she watched the two men climb out of the cab.

"Before I can even begin to solve your problem, Miss Crossley, I must first make a stop. I assure you it is fundamental to your case," said Sherlock, closing the door. "You go on, we will be at your home shortly."

They stood on the pavement watching the cab disappear around another sharp corner. Sherlock and Vaughan let out a sigh in unison. John looked down at the toddler who seemed equally as exhausted by the woman as his father. Sherlock spun the pram and began wheeling it towards the entrance of the hospital.

"I thought you said this was fundamental to the case; what can Molly do?" asked John.

"I can assure you, this is very important."

III

Molly slid her protective goggles onto the top of her head and pulled off her gloves.

"Oh, hello! What a lovely surprise." She waved at Vaughan who smiled and put his arms out to her. "Where's Margaux?"

"At work."

"So... you two... are in charge of taking care of him... alone?" Molly asked in disbelief.

"Don't sound so surprised," said John.

"Sorry, John, you're just... I've never seen you around children before. And well he's Sherlock Holmes," she said as she bent down and unclipped Vaughan from his pram, lifting him out and carrying him over to her work station "Are they doing a good job of looking after you?" she asked in a high-pitched voice.

"Ya," said Vaughan. "Car very fast!"

Molly turned her head slowly to the two men with a raised eyebrow. Sherlock cleared his throat.

"Yes, thank you for that, Vaughan. Moving swiftly on... an interesting case just came up. Quite peculiar actually," said Sherlock.

"Oh really? Do you need my help? I mean, I've got a lot to get through but I'd be happy to look at something if you need me to?"

"Actually..." Sherlock began as he took the changing bag off John's shoulder and placed it in the pram. "How would you like to spend the afternoon with a charming little boy who bears a striking resemblance to his equally charming father?"