Chapter Twelve

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cori was sitting beside her dad's bed when Jax finally got to the hospital. He stood in the doorway for a moment just watching her and wondering if he'd be able to keep her in his life. He had so many balls up in the air that he was afraid that if he stopped juggling long enough to pull her in, he'd lose his grip on everything. He shook his head to clear it, knowing that no matter what, he had to have her in his life and he'd figure out a way for that to happen. 

He tapped on the door frame and waited for her to turn her head to look at him, smiling at her and holding out a hand. She got up and leaned over to kiss her father on the cheek before walking over to Jax. He enfolded her in his arms and sighed before tilting her head back to kiss her. He tilted his head in Harry's direction. "How's he doing?"

Cori sighed and laid her head on his chest for a moment before answering. "He's stable at the moment. Did you get your business taken care of?"

Jax nodded, smiling down at her as he released her from his arms to take her hand. "Yep. I'm all yours for the rest of the day. You ready for lunch?"

Cori grinned and nodded. "Yeah, as long as you promise to behave yourself. No chest beating in the cafeteria."

Jax chuckled as they waited for the elevator to take them downstairs. "I'm making no promises, babe. If he starts, I'm going to finish."

Cori just rolled her eyes as they got on the elevator. Jax pulled her close and leaned down to whisper in her ear. "So if I'm good, do I get a reward later?"

Cori smirked and looked up at him. "Hmm, maybe. We'll see just how good you can be."

Jax bit his lip and grinned before leaning down for a kiss. "Oh, if there's a reward involved, I'll be the best." Cori chuckled as he looked at her. "I'm going to bring a few of my things to your place since I'll be staying there for a while."

Cori looked at him. "Jax, that isn't necessary. I'm a big girl, you know."

He nodded in agreement but looked at her seriously. "Yeah, I know, but I'd feel better being close, and with your dad coming home, you might need me there. You never know what could happen. Don't argue with me on this, Cori."

Cori smirked and shook her head. "And just where do you think you'll be sleeping?"

Jax gave her that grin that always stole her breath. "Oh, darlin', I know exactly where I'll be sleeping every night, and so do you."

Before she could say anything to that, the elevator was stopping and they were stepping off into the cafeteria. She looked around until she saw Dr. Newberg stand and wave at them. Jax nodded and pointed to the food line. "Why don't you get something to eat? I'll be right there." When Cori nodded and headed over to see what there was to choose from, Jax walked over to where the doctor was sitting and leaned on the table. "I just wanted to get something clear before we have this meeting. If you thought that you were going to try to get anywhere with Cori, you need to rethink that. She's with me, in every way that implies, and you aren't going to get the girl. Do we understand each other?"

Dr. Newberg smirked and nodded. "I could pretend that I don't know what you're talking about, but what's the point? We both know that I do. I get it, man, I do. I should have moved on her when she first got here, but out of respect for her father, I waited. Lesson learned."

Jax grinned and shook her head. "I have a feeling that even if you had, we'd still be having this conversation, but I'm glad we understand each other." He jerked his head to where Cori was waiting in line. "I'm gonna go make sure that my girl is getting something to eat. We'll be back." When he joined Cori in line, she lifted a brow and looked at him. He grinned before leaning in and kissing her on the cheek. "What's that look for?"

"Do you feel better now that you've marked your territory?"

Jax chuckled. "Yeah, I do, actually."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the meeting, which went just about as well as could be expected, Cori and Jax went back upstairs to sit with Harry for a little while before heading to the house. Cori was exhausted, so Jax sent her in to have a bath while he fixed something for dinner. After eating his spaghetti, they cuddled up in bed and watched a movie before Cori started to drift off. She sat up and looked at him for a moment before leaning in to give him a kiss. 

"I'm glad you're here, Jax."

Jax just smiled at her. "I'm not going anywhere, Coraline."