Act I, Scene III

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

"Time for you to get up, Iliana," I heard Mom say as I shook myself out of my drowsy state.

"But it's 2:00!" I yawned, recovering from a strange dream I had: something about a mission in Saudi Arabia.

"Your plane leaves in an hour."

I leaped out of bed. "Oh my gosh, you're right! Why didn't you get me up any sooner? No, never mind, don't answer that. I don't have time." I started venting.

"I laid your uniform out and made you some food."

"Thank you! I love you!" I amended. She smiled softly and drummed the fingers of her right hand on her left forearm. This meant she was impatient... and nervous. Well, that makes two of us. I put on a fake smile and saw her return a similar one.

I snatched up the pale camo uniform that Allen had sent to my house and sprinted to the bathroom. Somehow, in my panicked state, I was able to brush my teeth, get dressed, and brush my hair, all at the same time. My mom slowly opened the door. I turned around.

"Is there anything I can help you with?" she offered.

I nodded gratefully. "Coo yoo do ma har, pleesh?"

Mom sighed and took the toothbrush out of my mouth and the brush out of my hand. I swallowed the toothpaste.

"Sorry. Could you do my hair, please?"

Mom nodded and began pulling my hair back into a low bun, making sure it didn't touch the collar.

"What's your name?" she quizzed.

"Madame Flora von Diesen."

"How old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"How many older siblings do you have?"

"Six."

"Do you have any younger siblings?"

"No."

"How many brothers do you have?"

"Four."

"What are their names?"

"Ernst, Friedrich, Hans, and Karl."

"How many sisters do you have?"

"Two."

"What are their names?"

"Anna and Bertha."

"Where were you born?"

"Denmark."

Mom nodded. "Good. I can tell you're well prepared. Good luck, sweetie."

I turned around to face her. Tears filled her green eyes. I wrapped my arms around her. "Everything's going to be fine, Mom. Just like you said, remember?"

I'll come home to you. I promise.

She nodded and patted me gently on the shoulder. "Okay, sweetie. Let's go." She paused for a second, then pulled a small box out of her pocket. She handed it to me, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. I opened it inquisitively. Inside was a necklace; its silver chain glistened in the faint glow of the bathroom light. The pendant itself featured the Marine Corps logo, and the carving on the back read Semper Fi, my love. I quickly clasped it around my neck and gave Mom a shaky smile.

The drive to the hangar was short and silent. Mom and I didn't know what to say to each other. I was the last of the team to arrive (as usual). When it came time for me to board the helo, she yanked me into a hug.

"Don't you dare leave me," she whispered into my hair. I nodded and hugged her tighter, though both of knew better than to actually make the promise. I didn't believe much in superstitions, but, better safe than sorry, I guess.

By 0300, I was seated on the helicopter, surrounded by a large group of men, out of which I only recognized Lieutenant Allen. He tossed me a headset. It was a bit big, so I pinned it to my ears with my hands.

"How's it going?" he shouted across to me. All I could make out was "how" and "going." I released a shaky hand and gave him a quick thumbs-up.

"All right, team, we are clear for take-off. Brace yourselves," said the pilot's voice, loud and clear in my headphones. I gripped the seat tightly, and the headset slipped down to rest on my cheeks.

"Don't worry!" shouted Allen. "It's not too bad once you get used to it!"

"How long does it take to get used to?" I shouted back.

He shrugged. "A couple flights."

I gripped the seat even tighter as a few of the guys laughed. Hooah.

30 hours later, I peeled myself off of the seat and disembarked. We had landed at Eskan Village Air Force Base in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I stepped out and stretched, letting out a huge yawn. One of the Marines, Patrick Dale, I guessed from the info given to me, slapped me on the back. I staggered slightly, turning to get a better look at him. His blonde hair was sticking out all over the place, and his brown eyes glowed with humor.

"How was it?" he asked with a smile. "Your first helo flight to another country?"

"Yeah," I said. "It wasn't too bad."

He laughed. "As the Lieutenant said, it only gets easier. I'm Patrick, by the way. You must be Iliana."

He extended his hand, and I shook it. "I'll walk you to base," he offered. "I've been stationed here before, so I know all the ins and outs."

I smiled. "Thanks. That would be great."

Another man came up behind him. Patrick turned around and grinned.

"Lou! How you doin'? Long time, no see!" He swept an arm around who I assumed must be Louis Fischer. "Iliana, this is Louis. He's my battle buddy!" Louis looked tired, with his red hair mussed up and dark bags under his black eyes.

I shook his hand, too. "Patrick was just going to show me to base. Care to join us?"

Louis shrugged. "Sure. It's not like I have anything else to do." His voice was flat and monotonous, but I saw a little twinkle in his bored eyes when Patrick hugged him. I smiled and allowed the friends to lead the way.

I let out another long and loud yawn. It was only noon, but I was exhausted. Patrick and Louis showed me to the Commissary, and we bought a couple of sandwiches. As we sat and ate, I tried to get to know them better. The pair struck me as an odd couple; Patrick being very energetic; Louis, mellow. Well, I guess what they say is true: opposites attract. Patrick told me he has a wife and two daughters at home; his brother works in the Navy. Louis didn't say much, though. Patrick says it's because he's shy, but I think I know why. He's afraid if he becomes too close to someone, and he loses that person, he won't be able to take the pain. My dad was like that, too. I remembered hearing my parents arguing about having another child. My mom thought it was a good idea for me to have a sibling, especially since Dad was gone so much. But I'll never forget what he said back to her:

It's bad enough to explain to one child that her father is dead. How would you like to explain that to two kids? And then raise them alone? He sounded so sad that my young heart broke, though I understood little of what they were discussing. That's what happens in my line of work, Lucy, you know that. People die, love. Death doesn't discriminate. I just want to make things easier on you and Ili.

With that happy memory, I dismissed myself to my quarters to get ready for bed. After I had laid out clothing for sleeping and clothing for tomorrow, I made my way over to the nearest AC building for our meeting. When I entered the room, everyone was already there. I took my seat, and Allen began briefing us.

Here goes.