Chapter 2

After a month or so of this, I snapped. Finally, I just couldn't take it anymore.

"Okay, dude, you really need to be less creepy."

I was on my break, and grabbing a coffee and a bagel, sat down at his table with a sigh.

He didn't look away from staring at the target of his obsession. "This table is taken." His voice was so cold I thought the room temperature dropped a little.

"Yeah... no it's not. " I shook my head sadly. "You see, at first I was willing to watch you be a creeper and stalk this girl, thinking I shouldn't interfere with true love and all that, but to be honest, it's just way too cringy."

He finally turned towards me, irritated. "Go. Away."

He had an air of intimidation around him. If it were anyone else they probably would have peed themselves and run away.

Unfortunately for Jack, he was facing me.

"Listen, buddy." I leaned forward, keeping my voice low. "You can hear me out, or I can announce to everyone your dirty little secret."

His eyes narrowed, and I sighed. "The one about your drink order. Why on earth would I know any other of your secrets?"

"I don't like that you're threatening me."

"Well I'm sure Darla doesn't like you staring at her like you're a starving wolf looking at a raw steak."

At these words, the intimidating aura around him, dissipated. He leaned back, obviously confused.

"How do you...?"

"Both of you come in every day. You stare at her for hours. It's not a secret that you're in love with her." I clapped him on the shoulder. "I know you mean well and all, but the whole 'dark, brooding, obsessed' thing you have going on is overrated and bad for a healthy long term relationship."

He seemed utterly confused now.

"There's a difference between a girl being important to you, and her being the single only significant thing in your life. One is sweet the other... is a little unhealthy."

"How would you know?" Jack was getting defensive now. "I don't see any reason to trust your advice."

"You should trust my advice because I'm an uninvolved third party. As such, I have no bias, no motive to lie to you, other than pure altruism." I smiled. "I'm rooting for you two to get together, but this is just too painful to watch."

He stared at me intently. "How do I know you aren't trying to sabotage my relationship with her to get me to be interested in you?"

I couldn't help it, at those words I threw my head back and laughed.

"It's not that funny." He growled as I continued laughing so hard I almost fell out of my chair.

"It really is." I sighed as I wiped the tears from my eyes. "That was great, I haven't laughed that hard in a while. " Looking back up at his annoyed face I chuckled. "Sorry dude, you're pretty to look at, but the whole dark, mysterious stranger bit you have going on is not my type."

"..." He didn't respond, obviously still irritated.

"So let me help you with your romance of a lifetime, and we'll help you build a nice strong relationship that will last, okay?"

I held my hand out to shake, but he just stared at it silently.

"..."

I didn't move it.

"..."

Finally, with a long, tired sigh, he reached out and shook my hand. "Fine."

"Great! Let's get started." I took a bite of my bagel and thought things over. "Before pursuing your dream girl, let's try to work on you being a well rounded individual whose life won't revolve completely around your partner."