Eye of the Beholder

Zayn,

It's amazing how far we've grown. Years ago I questioned my life and whether I would have the strength to move on. I felt suffocated and trapped, like a bird in a cage. But you managed to give me purpose in my life. You're my first thought in the morning and my dream when night falls.

You've given me my Angel too. Zayna adds more purpose. My love and devotion for her and you is endless. But if I'm being honest, I still question the validity of my purpose. According to the media, I'm poisoning you and the country. Even now as I'm writing this, you are past out and Zayna is disturbed and restless. I can't calm her down and I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong. I don't want to fail at being a wife and mother. I've been scared of feelings useless, and I felt this way even when I was pregnant.

Laleh sat at the edge of their bed, facing the window. Tears trickled down her face as the newspaper was grasped tightly in her hand.

Has The Spy Successful Lured Malikhbar's Prince into her trap with the new heir?

After months and months of social terror, the accusations and stigmatism had finally gotten to her. Filled her with disappointment and feelings of uselessness. Although her love for Zayn was infinite, she still felt she wasn't good enough for what he needed. She hadn't even told him that the comments cut her this deep.

She flung the paper away and tugged at her scalp in frustration. Her father's torments and insults rung in her ears.

"He was right" she whispered. "I am completely useless"

Sobs racked her body. She could feel every snide comment and stab at her physically weighing her down.

She slowly got up from the bed, struggling with her stomach and aching back. Sniffling, she looked in the mirror across the room. Her heart dropped.

Laleh analyzed her appearance with disappointment. Her long black hair was tangled and messy, her once bright alluring eyes were now swollen and bloodshot, her eye bags were pronounced and almost black. Tears further flowed as she looked. Her thighs and hips were bigger than she thought, her stomach was huge, and her clothes made her look hopeless.

A cry escaped her mouth as she dropped to the floor in emotional pain.

She finally felt as ugly as her father treated her. As her country thought of her.

•••

Zayn was scrolling through his emails as he entered the doors of his home. He stopped and listened to see where his love was. Zayn furrowed his eyebrows when he was met with complete silence. He cautiously began to look for her. As he was about to call for Laleh, he heard a loud cry followed by a thud. His heart stopped and his eyes widened.

"LALEH?!" He shouted and ran to their room. He found her on her knees sobbing. His heart cracked, seeing the woman he loved in so much pain.

"Laleh? Are you alright? Are you in pain? What's wrong?" He knelt by her. Searching for any signs of physical trauma.

She lifted her head and saw her perfect husband. His bright eyes and flawless face were distraught, looking for some reason for her behavior.

He saw her face, and the beautiful woman he loved was in pain. Her eyes were tired and her face was slightly swollen from her hormones. Nonetheless, she was still gorgeous.

As Laleh continued to weep, Zayn carefully scooped her up in his arms and carried her to the bathroom. Setting her on the counter, he slowly moved the hair out of her face and gave her a soothing wet towel. She delicately took the towel and wiped her face. Zayn watched intently, scanning for reasons why she would feel this way.

Minutes went by. Laleh sat on the counter, sniffling and legs dangling, while Zayn analyzed her every move.

"Why?" He asked.

She lifted her head to look at him and struggled to not sob. She couldn't hold back any longer.

"I'm everything my father said I would be. Eternally hated and completely ugly and useless. The elites of Malikbhar hate me and believe I have some master plan to infiltrate the government. People accuse me of being a spy and traitor to the country and you. They accuse our baby of being my sure way for you to falling into my 'so-called trap'. On top of everything, I'm so freaking swollen and tired. So yeah, my father was right. I'm ugly on the inside and outside and useless. Even in death he still manages to make my life miserable."

Zayn was shocked. He didn't know the press had finally gotten to her. They were just looking for trouble, but he had no idea Laleh had taken their lies to heart.

"Habibti, you know that isn't true. What you feel for me and what I feel for you is something that the wicked people could never fathom."

Laleh hung her head and nodded while he moved closer to her. He put his hands tenderly on her waist and kissed her forehead. She closed her eyes and a rush of affection flowed through her, automatically numbing some of the pain.

" And Laleh, if you think that you are ugly because of this pregnancy, you are absolutely blind."

Laleh emptily chuckled. Zayn took her face in his hands and stroked her cheek with his thumb.

"You are not ugly. You are not wicked. You are not useless."

They gazed into each other's eyes, and Laleh started to believe. Believe that she was enough for him. For their baby

"You are my wife Laleh, my beautiful, caring, strong wife. Nothing will ever change that."

Zayn kissed her sweetly and she responded. Wrapping her arms around his neck. He slowly pulled away and rested his forehead on hers.

"Thank you, Zayn. I... I needed to hear it. I would love to blame it on my hormones but... part of me felt it was real. "

Zayn shook his head.

"You give me purpose, Laleh. And that will never change."

At times I still question why I'm here. But then I always think back to that day. When we held each other in the washroom and our hearts grew together. You made me feel beautiful and wanted, even though at the time I didn't see it in myself. But now, with Zayna safely babbling in my lap and watching me write, and with you snoring slightly, I know this is what I was meant to do. To love and to be loved.

Love,

Laleh