SOLOMON- CHAPTER 1

June 12th 2025

Solomon:

The layover in Frankfurt was extended for two hours. Our flight to Cairo was delayed. Terminal One had many cafés and duty shops, but we couldn't just sit around in the lounge or wander around the shops to buy what we don't need. We decided to book a room at the Airport's Sheraton Hotel for some hours to take a small nap, freshen ourselves up, and then go back to gate B to catch our connecting flight. It was a long walk from the gate to the hotel. I felt bad for my friends because it was exhausting for them. We were a happy group of four, visiting Cairo for our archaeological studies sponsored and assigned by our university. Our university had collaborated with a travel company based in Cairo and had especially designed this trip to have an emphasis on the major historical sites of the country. This three-day study tour's aim was to combine an enjoyable travel experience with an opportunity to learn about the history and archaeology of the places we visit. A university qualified historian and archaeologist from Australia, with expertise in archaeology and the history of the ancient world, who now resided in Egypt, was our instructor.

I was six-feet-five-inches tall and the center of attraction. I'm glad I didn't exceed the height of the tallest basketball player, which my father wished, for he was a diehard fan.

We carried our handbags, packed our scattered stuff, and checked if we missed anything in the lounge. Pete was looking here and there for his glasses. They were stuck between the heavy cushioned seats. If not for my senses, he would never have found them.

"Solomon, my life saver, I owe you a treat." Pete spoke while grabbing his glasses from my hand.

"How many times have you said that and actually given me one?" I replied, patting his back slowly as his body moved back and forth .He was as lean as I but muscular, with a height that reached my shoulders.

The airport was massive, clean, and luxurious. The Germans were friendly at the help desk. One of them even guided us to the hotel. While walking to the hotel with the group, my eyes fell on a turban displayed on the glass window of one of the duty-free shops. The souvenir shop had a lot of other Arabian things like Turkish prayer mats, beads, crystal showpieces, and portraits in Arabic.

Pete called out the others, "Hey guys, let's get some of this stuff before landing on their land." Tim and Ricky were even more excited to get it all.

I picked up the turban I was attracted to at once. It was reddish purple like a beetroot, with a chain of pearls attached to it. It fit me well and made me look grand. The man at the counter was very short in height—he wore his gray trouser above his belly. He flashed off his yellow teeth when I looked at him to ask for the price.

"Only 250 Euros. It looks like it's made for you."

I shook my head in refusal. It was expensive. "Never mind, we will buy some prayer beads and the white cotton head caps." His items were attractive and new to us so we bought some stuff willingly. I bought a string of crystal prayer beads for mom and a prayer mat, and a white cotton cap for my father. I was sure they would love this unique stuff.

When we stepped out of the shop, the man called me back, "Sir, the turban for 150?" I shook my head again, but Pete bought it immediately. He said, "This is for all the treats that were due. Now don't ask for anything until forever." I laughed out loud and pulled him in my arm in appreciation as we left for the hotel.

We chose a family executive room with one king-sized bed and two single beds. The room looked quite comfortable, especially the bed with a soft yet bulky mattress. There wasn't any noise in the room as it was sound proof. We also had free Wi-Fi and a complimentary meal.