8

Behind A Smile
Khadijah Sidi Aliyu (deey_jah)
Chapter eight

✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✳✳

Unlocking the door, Zynah turned the doorknob. "I told you to b- Nazmeera?" Her eyes widened in horror. Was she hallucinating? It can't be! It can't be!! - the words kept on chanting in her mind like a mantra.

"Yes." She rolled her eyes. "Nazmeera."

Zynah's chest fell and her heartbeat accelerated - Nazmeera at their doorstep? Things were definitely going to get uglier for her now. She could recall just how much she was hated by her. How much she made life a living hell for her, the last time she visited. If possible, she was worse than her brother, Bilal.

"Are you going to let me into my brother's house or keep me stranded by the doorstep?" She queried.

Wordlessly, Zynah moved aside, giving way for her to go in. The way she left her luggage by the door for her to carry in, did not go unnoticed by her. She never stopped at nothing to make her life difficult and this time was not going to be an exception - she knew this all too well...

And just like suspected, she spoke; "take my luggage to my room and be very careful with them as I have breakable things in them." Not waiting for her reply, she roughly pushed her aside and ambled into the house.

Zynah fought back the urge to cry. Why should she cry? She was stronger than this! If she could bear the torture from her own husband, then who was Nazmeera that she couldn't bear her torture? - she was no one. Absolutely no one important to her and the best she could do was avoid her in all possible ways. She had come for nothing, but trouble.

Gathering the luggage and dragging them into the house, she met Nazmeera seated on one of the sofas with her leg crossed over the other. Immediately their gazes met, Zynah averted hers and continued walking towards the guest room, when she got startled by the tone in which Nazmeera used in calling her.

"Hey you!"

Turning around hesitatingly, she spoke with a confident voice. "What do you need?"

She narrowed her eyes at her. "What can I possibly need from a worthless person such as yourself?"

Swallowing a lump in her throat, Zynah smiled. "I can see you need nothing from me. I suppose I can take my leave now."

"Is this the way your good for nothing mother told you to receive visitors?"

Mustering all of the patience in her, she ignored the insult.

"I'm just coming from a long journey. Aren't you supposed to have served me some food and refreshment? I don't blame you though, you obviously lack home training."

"I'm giving you your respect because you're like a mother to Bilal, but that does not mean you get to say whatever comes your mind. Everything should have its limit." She spoke in a dangerous low voice. Ever since Bilal was birthed, he had considered Nazmeera as his mother, for his mother had passed away while giving birth to him. He respected her a lot and had made it clear to her from the beginning to always respect her as well, if she wanted peace between them. At first, she did not have a problem with that at all. In fact, she always tried to win her love, by spending time with her and buying gifts for her, but all her efforts to make her love her was futile. She did not know the reason, but she hated her from the very beginning. Even before Bilal started to show his true colours. Zynah could not help, but think she had a hand in his sudden change of behavior towards her...

"Is it me you're talking to in this manner?" She seethed.

"What would you like to take?" She smiled, ignoring her question purposely, to irk her.