Chapter 1

Salvatore Boarding House

Damon poured himself a drink in the living room when his phone ringed. "You're interrupting my drink."

"You miss me?" A teasing feminine voice said.

"Katherine. Where are you?"

"Lurking outside your window, pining away."

"What do you want?"

"I'm homesick. What have I missed?"

"Well, Stefan's still Klaus' little prisoner, and Elena still thinks she can save him and no one's thought about you since you left."

"And what about you? I'm sure now that you've given up on your brother, you're plotting some sort of way of moving in on his girlfriend."

"I didn't give up on him. I just don't know where he is."

"Hmm."

"But you do. Are you trailing them?"

"A hybrid who wants me dead and his sidekick who's off the rails? I couldn't be further away."

"Which means you know exactly where they are."

"All I know is that Klaus pitched a fit once his hybrids didn't work. Now he's looking for some answers."

"How do you know that?"

"Spend 500 years running, and there will be a few people along the way that are looking out for you."

"Is that what you're doing? Looking out for my brother?"

"Maybe, maybe not. I'm conflicted."

"Where are they?"

Katherine ignored his question. "There's something you should know."

"What is it?" He groaned.

"There's someone you need to be careful of if you're coming to see Stefan."

"And who is this mystery person?"

"It's Klaus' brother."

"He has another one?!"

"Hm. five brothers including Elijah."

"And which one is this one?"

"His twin. Nikolai Mikelson."

"WHAT?!"

.

.

Chicago

Klaus and Stefan got out of a car.

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan." Klaus said cheerfully.

"What are we doing here?" Stefan said.

"I know how much you loved it here — bringing back memories of the good old ripper days?"

"Blacked out most of them. A lot of blood, a lot of partying. The details are all a blur."

"Well, that is a crying shame. The details are what make it legend."

.

Flashback - Chicago  1920

"Word was the ripper of Monterrey got lonely, so he escaped to the city for comfort. It was Prohibition. Everything was off limits then, which made everything so much fun." Klaus narrated.

Stefan was in a car making out with a girl, but then he drank her blood and killed her. He got out of the car, removed the blood from his lips, and walked down the street. He entered a bar and patted the doorman on the shoulder as he passed. The owner of the bar who is on stage singing saw him.