Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter 8

Mom leaves around midnight. I'm supposed to be in bed, it being a school night and all, but I'm still wide awake. I hear her talking to Dad, hear her kiss him goodbye, and then the front door opens and shuts.

I decide to come out. Dad is stirring a cup of coffee when I find him. He just keeps stirring and stirring.

Poor Dad. Always worrying.

"Hey Dad," I say as I enter the kitchen.

He looks at me in my pajamas and smiles. "Couldn't sleep?"

I shake my head.

"I can never sleep when your mother is running," he murmurs.

"I know."

He sits down with his coffee and I join him at the table.

I pause before asking. "Have you ever been tempted to follow her?"

He smiles again, a look in his dark eyes hinting of mischief. "Many times."

"Did you?"

A long, slow sigh. "She made me promise not to. It's... a private thing. Only to be shared with other Shifters."

I drop my eyes to his mug, watch the steam curling up and disappearing in wispy swirls. "Do you wish you were a Shifter?"

My dad is quiet for a while. He shifts in his chair. "If I wasn't a Stalker, your mother would be dead."

His words shock me. I mean, I know they're true, but... to hear them said aloud. If my dad had been anyone else, my mother wouldn't be here today. Neither would I for that matter. It kind of puts things into perspective for me. Just a little. Maybe we're all who we are for a reason? That still doesn't say anything about what my purpose is.

Dad stares into his coffee, lost in thought. He's always so solid. So strong. I never think anything could bother him. But sitting here at the kitchen table, waiting for Mom to come home... he looks so vulnerable.

I want to tell him. That I wish I was a Shifter. Or even just plain human. How nice it would be if we were just normal people living normal lives, doing normal things together as a family. We could all be watching a movie together instead of the two of us waiting in the kitchen while Mom runs with wolves. Wishful thinking.

I say nothing. Dad already thinks I'm crazy for even thinking about trying out for a team. Voicing these thoughts while he's pining for Mom would just be cruel.

I sit with him for a little while longer before returning to bed.

***

In the morning, I have a realization. I don't have my own "thing." Mom has her pack runs. Dad has his daily Stalker training. What do I have? School is not a thing. Training three times a week with Dad is not my thing. Maybe I just need to find it, whatever it is. Maybe then I'll stop feeling like such a lost puppy.

I creep to my parents' bedroom and peek in. They're asleep, Dad's arms wrapped around Mom. Safe and sound. I smile and close the door again.

I quietly eat a bowl of cereal, pull the black beanie onto my head, and begin the long walk to school. It's about four miles away and one of my parents usually drives me, but I always let them sleep in the day after a pack run. My previous schools never used to be so far away though. Maybe I should start lobbying for a car again.

I decide to sprint to the edge of our property, which is about a mile and a half. I cinch my backpack tight and dig my feet into the ground. I make pretty good time. Maybe next time I'll set a stopwatch.

When I reach the property line, I slow to a walk. I'm barely winded, but people might find it odd that a girl is running full tilt down the street in jeans and a backpack. Like I'm being chased by wolves or something. I smile to myself. Maybe I was imagining I was running with wolves.

I'm about halfway to school when a noisy, old Mustang rolls past me. Slowly. It's a faded blue color with dents and scrapes. It's not one of those cool classic Mustangs from the sixties either. It's a hideous rust-bucket from the eighties. Its engine makes that deep klung klung klung sound, punctuated by an occasional clank. It's going so slowly that I can't help peeking in.

I bristle.

Trevor's driving it.

Two other friends are inside with him. Dread spreads through my gut when it stops a short distance ahead of me. I stop walking. Just go. Keep driving.

They don't.

Uh oh. Boys with issues are bad news. What's she going to do, throw votes at them?

---

I hope you enjoyed the first 9,500 words! The rest of story (59,000 words) awaits you!

It can be unlocked by buying coins, earning coins by watching ads in the coin pouch, or by using the Premium+ subscription unlock. You can even redeem physical gift cards for coins - iTunes for iPhone, Google Play for Android. (If you unlock the story with Premium+, the story will remain unlocked even if you unsubscribed.)

You can buy all the chapters at once for a discounted price, or if you use a computer/web browser, the chapter-by-chapter unlock option is still available.

The ability to watch ads to earn coins is available in over 40 countries: Australia, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Czech Republic, United Arab Emirates, and the United States.) www.wattpad.com/earncoins/

Most of my other books are completely free to read. I recommend following me so you'll get notified when I put up more free content.

Thanks for checking me out. I appreciate you!

If you experience technical difficulties or wish to send feedback directly to Wattpad, please use this link: https://support.wattpad.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000179091

icon lock

Show your support for Zoe Blessing, and continue reading this story

by Zoe Blessing
@Zoe_Blessing
A genetically unique but emotionally lost teenager must figure out wh...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 43 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @Zoe_Blessing.