♡••• 4 •••♡

I looked at my wristwatch. There's only one hour before Carrie closes the boutique. When those doors close, I can say goodbye to my Valentino's, she's not going to keep them for me another day.

Sabrina and Mr. Purple Shirt were dancing. The chemistry between them bouncing off the walls. I couldn't gather the guts to interrupt the moment. I would never forgive myself.

My heart heavy as I let it sink in that this year, I'm not going to get my Valentino's. The longer I looked at Bree, the easier that thought became. Her happiness is more important than a silly pair of shoes.

"You ruined my dramatic exit," I spun around and couldn't help but crack a smile.

"I couldn't leave," I told him, nodding towards my best friend. He followed my gaze and started to dig in his pockets. Before I could hazard a guess into what he was looking for he pulled something out and tossed jingling metal towards me. I instinctively caught it. My heart stuck in my throat.

"I can't," I said and tossed the keys back towards him. It clanged onto the floor.

"Well, neither can I," he chuckled and struggled to keep his balance as he bent to retrieve them. He was in no condition to drive.

"I decided not to get the shoes," I admitted reluctantly. He lifted his eyebrows knowingly, I sighed. He was very intuitive for a stranger.

"You can have both," he said as he tossed the keys back to me. My fingers trembled as they tightened around the cold jagged metal.

"Carrie's will close in twenty minutes," he stated as he squinted at his watch. "Don't look at me like that! Where else are you going to buy Valentino's in Silvercrest?"

My heart raced. I visualized the Valentino's that I had all but stalked throughout the year. Something in my soul clicked.

"I can have it both," I said and grabbed his hand. With barely a glance back at Sabrina, I dragged him out if the reception hall. When we reached the parking lot, he led me to his car.

My head was clear as we got into the silver sports car. I held the steering wheel, the leather warm from baking in the sun. Then it dawned on me: My goal was not the Valentino's. It was self-respect. For the first time in almost ten years, I had the opportunity to do what I want, when I want. It was empowering. Without a second thought, I drove to Carrie's.

"Nicole!" Carrie squealed from the boutique entrance, "I was just about to lock up!" I glanced at the man next to me, he smiled and mouthed: Go.

"Do you know how many women I had to deprive of those Valentino's? Thirteen! The kept coming to me..." Carrie prattled on. The woman loved the sound of her own voice and I could only concentrate on one thing. I lifted the Valentino's off the shelf and walked to the counter. It took all my self-control not to hug them too me like a crazy person.

I made it. I have my Valentino's. Pride radiated through my body as I stepped out onto the sidewalk. I couldn't believe I made it. I couldn't believe I actually drove myself here.

A hard pillar-like object stopped me in my tracks. My new purchase clattered to the floor. In my excitement, I didn't think to look around me and I paid for it by walking straight into a stranger. Familiar hands helped me pick up the tissue paper and I stole a glance upwards.

It was Mr. Blue from the wedding. I couldn't believe that I finally had the chance to talk to him. My mouth went dry. Come on! Say something! My fingers trembled, my mouth opened-

"You should try opening your eyes when you walk," he admonished curtly before I could say a word and he walked away. I felt my cheeks heat up as I watched the red-head by his side glance back at me and giggle.

"Nicole!?" A familiar voice called as I got into the car. I stared in confusion as Sabrina ran towards me frantically. "Why didn't you tell me you left? You could at least have told me you took my bloody car!"

I looked at the car I sat in. It was her car. The passenger seat empty. I swallowed hard. This is why my dreams are a curse. This why I cannot trust them. They have no link to reality.