Chapter One

Graham Ruskin was a man to be misunderstood. He seemed reckless, merciless, and often times aggravated with the world. And though he seemed all of these things, he was not so. Graham had been through a lot more than any other man, for he had gotten his heart broken as he let go of the one woman whom he had been entitled to marry, only for her to marry another man. This other man did not mean a thing to Graham, and yet he meant everything, for he was his rival for the entirety of his life.

            When little Kirstin married Lachlan, Graham was indeed heartbroken and because of this, he stopped caring about a lot of things. He held no grudge anymore, but people would think otherwise due to his cold demeanor about things. He was rough around the edges, much more so than he had been before losing Kirstin, and he seemed to be a lot of things that he was not.

            Needless to say, people were shocked when he let all of his servants go and even disappeared from the estate for several weeks. When he had returned, only those who were close to him recognized his identity, because his beard was longer and his skin was tanner. He carried a deepening scowl on his face and frown lines penetrated his face, and no words left his lips.

            He locked himself away after that, for several more weeks. People began to wonder if he had died of heartbreak, or something else as no one had gone in or out of his manor. But little did the inhabitants know that on one day, he had sat out within the fields of his estate and watched as horses grazed on the tall grasses there. He watched them while in contemplation about only things he knew to think of.

            It was then, that he had gotten off of the ground, as the setting sun hid behind the highlands, and he began to walk away from the fields and towards the town that lay within his estate.

            Graham watched as people began to retire to their homes, as the few who recognized him nodded his way before they too, shut their front doors. Candle lit windows darkened, as the flames were blown out, but he did not stop walking.

            He walked for a long time, until he stopped beyond an inn to where only one window was still lit with candlelight. It was on the second level, above his reach but still in eyesight. He stared up at the window, watching the flames flicker in the room, and he could clearly make out a simple dresser and bed, that would only be necessary for any guest in an inn.

            Then, he saw a woman. She was a beautiful woman, with dark hair that flowed far past her shoulders, and matching dark brown eyes. She was dressed in a white nightshift, illuminating her pale skin and slight curves to her waist. Graham was mesmerized as he stared at her, watching her comb a brush through her thick hair.

            She was different, far different than any other woman he had seen before because of her pale complexion and dark accents. It seemed that she was kept behind doors and not allowed to venture farther past the sun's horizon, as her skin was almost fluorescent. Her eyes were dark, but stood out with a brightness in them that suggested she had spirit. And without another thought, Graham knew that he wanted her.

            And he would have her.

            Just then, her eyes met his and determination took place on his scrutinizing gaze. She let out a quick breath as she realized that she was not alone, and was being watched by a crazed looking man.

            But she did not look away, and this only fueled Graham to go after her all the more. So, he turned away, hearing her relieved sigh as if she were glad he had left. If only she knew, though, that he had only gone for a second, only to return for what he desired the most.

            Graham rushed into the inn and went past the owner, but the owner stopped him with a rough hand upon his shoulder, "Ye need to check in, sir."

            Graham turned around and glared at the man, his eyes penetrating the man into fear. Then, the owner seemed to recognize his identity and he exasperatedly said, "I am sorry, Laird Ruskin. Ye may be on yer way."

            Graham gave him a nod with an approving look, and then continued down the hallway and up the stairs. He could only guess which room the woman was in, and he knocked on the door that he could only assume was hers.

            There was no answer for a long time, so he knocked a second time, and then a third. When his impatience grew, and he contemplated whether or not to barge open the door, only then did it open a crack. He saw her beautiful dark eyes, coated with long lashes, and he could feel his stomach twist with excitement.

            "May I come in?" Graham asked.    

            The woman let out a quick breath of air and replied, "Nay, for ye donna ken me."

            "Then let me in," he rushed, "so that I may begin the process of it."

            She made to shut the door after that, but he put his foot in the door to prevent her from slamming it in her face.

            "I donna see how it is proper for ye to slam a door in a man's face." He growled, and she gave a quick reply.

            "Mayhap, 'tis because it is no' proper for a man to be in the same room as a woman alone, especially this late."

            Graham laughed loudly at her response, and then his stern look came back and he replied easily, "I will count to three before I come in myself, for 'tis I that really owns the place."

            She gave him a confused look, as he began to count, "One."

            "Ye own the place?" She asked, and he nodded curtly.

            "Aye, I am the laird of this estate, and own the land from which this inn is on. Two." He ended the statement by continuing to count.

            The woman became even more confused, and also shocked, "Ye jest!"

            "Do I?" He smirked, and then finally said, "Three."

            And with that, he barged open the door.