1

Lucy looks around in amazement through the window of the moving car as it slowly enters an imposing gate and a long driveway to the mansion.

Feeling nervous as this will be the first time she will ever meet her father, Lucy took a deep breath. She grew up without a father and never asked her mother about it as she was told that her father died before she was even born. It was only by accident that she found out about the Duke of Yadnus being her father.

That day she was looking for a paper to write on, when in one of the usually lock drawer she found a picture of her mother with a man. She didn't think any of it at first but it got her so curious she asked her mother about it.

Ida at first look frozen and scared then burst out crying. She was oddly calm as her mother finally told her the truth...

"He's your father" Ida quietly said, sniffing.

Lucy blink fast as she tried to process what her mother just revealed then, "I want to meet him" she determinedly said.

Ida flinched like she'd hit her but nodded uncertainly.

"Will he be... happy... if he heard from us?" she asked suddenly uncertain from her mother reaction.

"Oh, dear. Of course he will be. That I know for sure. He did look for us when I suddenly disappeared..." Ida said then stares down at her hand on her lap.

Lucy bit her lip to prevent herself from asking how Ida knows he looks for her. Does that mean her mother keep tab of the Duke?

"He's a good man. I've loved him, you know. I love him with all my heart" her mother looks like she's lost in her memory but Lucy did not miss the present tense she used.

"I became an upstairs maid in his family's home when my aunt, who was the cook, took me in after the death of my parents" Ida looks up at her sadly. "I fell in love with your father the moment I saw him. He was so handsome, so kind and he loves you. He loves you so much that I know it hurt him to not get the chance to know you" Ida shake her head. "It was my entire fault. I'm so sorry, Lucy. I'm sorry for lying"

"Mom, it's ok" she murmured as she went to hug her.

"His wife... His wife must not know who you are, Lucy" Ida desperately cup her cheeks. "Do you understand? You can meet him but no one must know you're his daughter"

Frowning, she asked. "Why?"

"Elena wants you dead. She hates me because I got pregnant accidentally but she knows your father intended to claim you as his daughter after you were born and she' not the type of person that will just stay quiet and accept that. She believes that titled and rich people should marry their kind. She looks at people lower than an insect if they are not titled or rich" Ida looks at her worriedly.