Chapter Two

Saturday, June 2nd

My text tone of "I'm Batman," wakes me up the following morning. I'm squinting at the bright little screen even though it reads on my phone that it's around eleven. I have to type in my password three times before I finally stop pressing a four instead of a seven.

lets go jump off a building or something, the text reads. Just from the suggestion, my heart beats a titch faster and a stupid smile turns the corners of my lips up.

is this ivy? I reply after a minute. I don't want to seem too eager, right?

of course. no one else would want to do fun things with you, right, steeden?(; Comes her response not even a minute later. I can't help letting out a laugh. It is definitely true though.

I only have two best friends. There's about four people that I can call close friends, the rest are acquaintances. They're all I need, though. I don't need - nor do I want - to have more than ten 'close' friends. Mason and Fuller are good enough for me.

too true. where should i meet you? I reply. I begin to search for my towel as soon as the text is sent.

can you come get me? i don't exactly have a car. and wear your swimsuit!(; My eyes widen at this and I can't help but feel apprehensive.

can i ask where we're going?

I can see Ivy rolling her eyes at me as I read her reply. no, it's a surprise, steeden!

I suck in a breath and let it out slowly as I tell her I'll be there in thirty.

......

With my swim trunks in the backseat and my heart beating out of my chest, I pull into Ivy's driveway. I'm about to climb from the car and get her but she's exited her house and is running down the steps and towards my car. Before she reaches the passenger side, I lean over and open the door for her. She gets a surprised look on her face but she smiles and climbs inside.

"You're the first boy to open a car door for me," she comments as she buckles her seatbelt.

My mom taught me to always open a girls door for them, that it was gentlemanly and kind. I watched my dad have to force my mom to stay in the car a few times just so he could run around the side to open the door. And now, it's just habit. I always find it a bit confusing when girls say things like that. I have to use both hands to count how many girls have told me that I'm the only boy to open their door.

It baffles me that no one would open the door for Ivy Duncan. "Well, I'm happy that I can be that guy," I tell her as I reverse out of her driveway. Ivy promptly leans forward and changes the radio station, already seeming comfortable in the car.

She settles for a station playing the top 40 and I let out a quiet sigh, but let it slide this once. I want to make a good impression for the girl beside me. "So where exactly are we going today?" I ask after a long, silent moment.

Ivy's smile is sly as she spares a glance at me. "We're going for a hike," she answers simply. She doesn't include any other detail, and I'm confused as to why I had to bring my swimsuit.

"And I have my swimsuit because?" I press, glancing over at her as we come to a stop sign.

"You'll see."

.......

The hiking trail is a few miles south of where the road leads to the cliffs. Ivy climbs out of the car, and crouches to tighten her tennis shoes. Ivy had brought a pretty large backpack filled with water bottles and food. She tells me that I should bring my trunks with us and lets me put them in the backpack.