10. MACARONS, a foreigner's desert.

Harieth

The reception arrangement was just as I had anticipated and watching the guests from where I sat, they seemed to be loving it. There was more than enough food to go around and the music echoed well throughout the hall. As I sight my friends happily chatting at a table, I wished more than anything that I could join them. Sitting at the front table with Christian felt the same as sitting alone. Would you believe he hasn't said a word to me all day? We're married and yet nothing. I had endeavoured to smile through it all but he... I don't believe I ever saw him smile. Gosh, this was frustrating. I can't believe that we're going to live in the same house. This day should just end already.

"And now, I believe it's time for the couple to own the dance floor."

What?

My eyes fall on the mc that just brought up the worst idea there is. Dance? I'm very sure Christian wants to do none of that with me.

"Let's go." Instantly, I shift my eyes to the direction of the voice and there he stood, a hand stretched out for me to accept. My eyes barely widen at the unbelievable. He was ready to dance with me. After having ignored me for half the day, the first words he finally says to me are 'let's go' and I'm supposed to do as he says, right?

The cheering of the guests pushes me back to reality and as I take one look at them, I portray a beautiful smile that everything was alright before I turn back to Christian and accept his offer. As we walk up to the now emptied dance floor, I couldn't help but take one more look at my hand held in his. A light and very brief chuckle elude my lips. One would think we were the perfect couple very much in love. A slow song begins playing and I had no idea what the lyrics were or who the musician was. We just stand in front of each other and I watch as he takes hold of my other hand and brings both up to rest on his shoulder. I stared at him a bit frozen, speechless and surprised at how real he was making this seem. I only flinched a little when I felt his hands rest on my lower back, a little close to my buttocks. As discomfort settled in, I found myself blinking several times to control what now seems to be a messed up emotions and by this time, I had lowered my eyes away from his to assert will over my own body.

People are watching. I remind myself and so with that thought, I manage to draw up a simple smile, one that says everything was all rosy for me and with that, I look up to him. Instantly, our eyes met and as we danced to the slow song, each moment seemed long and excruciating for me. Staring into his eyes, I could barely see anything. No emotion, no explanation. It was almost as if I was dancing with a robot. Surely, he couldn't have spent all his life being this way. There has to be more to Christian Hendrix. There has to be some sort of explanation for this. There just has to be.

"Are you happy?" His sudden question jolted me out of my thoughts. For a moment, I try to understand what he just said.

"Yes." I lied.

"Good. Because this is the last you'll be beside me. Enjoy it while it lasts." His words come out sharp and hurtful. For a moment, I just stare at him a little intensely, wondering why he felt the need to say those words. Was he trying to threaten me or something of that sort? Was his plan to scare me to the extent that I stay away from him? Suddenly, I feel a little amused by his attempt. This guy right here really knows nothing about me. This is why people need to be careful about who they associate with. You really never who that person might be.

In the end, I put up a broader smile as I took a step closer and wrap my arms firmer around his neck. I could read the surprise in his eyes for a moment. Now, we were so close that I could hear his own breath. I would be lying if I said this closeness wasn't taking the least bit toll on me but regardless of that, I was determined to assert my ground in this matter. It was now or never.