35. For Him

The summer had officially began. Day after day, we were having such great weather, the sun kept on shining so beautifully, with the days lasting longer than the nights. White cotton clouds were barely visible in the sky, instead there was a strong blue casted over, making everything seem so peaceful.

After that talk I had with Mum and realising just how much it meant to her to move away, I didn't have the heart to make her stay.

I wasn't going to be around that much for the next three years, since I'd be moving away for further studies. It wouldn't be completely uprooting my life if we were to move now.

It was clear that Mum needed to leave, more than I wanted to stay.

After I had told Mum that I was okay with moving, she looked almost grateful and thanked me, which just showed how much this meant to her. She had really meant it when she said that she was going to leave the decision up to me.

Once I had told Mum, my next worry was how to tell everyone else.

Over the last couple of weeks, I had tried to tell them, but every time that I thought it was the right time, I would chicken out. I would just change my mind and then felt like it was better to tell them after, but really that was me just ultimately delaying everything.

At the actual start of summer I had already sort brought everyone's celebrations to a halt, with the news of my Dad. I did't want to then be the bearer of more bad news.

I sort of already knew what everyone's reactions would be, but I still dreaded telling them.

But then again, we were all at this point of our lives where things were going to be changing anyway. With us all going to different places to study, we wouldn't be seeing each other as much as we were used to, my move was probably going to emphasis that.

Well, not for all of us. Sara and I were going to be attending the same university, along with Chris. So, I would still have them with me.

One of the biggest changes would probably be not living next door to Liam. I was really not looking forward to telling him. He'd just always been my neighbour, even thinking about living next door to someone else would just be weird.

Yeah, none of this was going to be easy.

***

Despite knowing I had other priorities - such as telling my friends about the move and packing - I chose to ignore all of them and instead enjoy myself a little.

It'd had been a while since I had gone out to eat, I though it would be nice to grab a bite and maybe have a picnic.

I hadn't had a chance to catch up with Julie, not since she came over to my house with a care package for Dad. It was the sweetest thing ever and my Dad loved that a lot of it was treats that he wasn't allowed in hospital. I thought it would be nice to surprise her and chill with her today.

Ringing the bell, I waited for someone to open the door, hoping that Julie was at home.

A few seconds later and Julie's Mum opened the door.

"Hello, Serena," she greeted me.

"Hi, Mrs Morris. Is Julie in? I thought we could go for lunch?" I said.

She smiled. "Oh, you're the sweetest. Come on in. She'll be in her room."

"Thank you," I replied and headed inside.

I walked up the stairs and straight to her room. When I knocked and heard a faint 'come in' I opened the door.

"Hey, Julie." I greeted her. "Do you...Have you been crying?" I faltered in my words seeing the saddened expression on her face.