chapter 9

I gaze at the police station as I walk towards it. I came up with the idea of asking the police if anything had happened a long time ago near the lake and see what information I can get out of them.

You're probably wondering what happened last night after Bear and I kissed. Well, it was awkward, but it wasn't too bad, I guess. I mean, I enjoyed the kiss, maybe more than I was supposed to, but still.

I shake of yesterdays memories and focus on what I came here for. I open the doors to the old police station and see the receptionist with thick, rimmed glasses. She looks like she's in her fifties.

"Hi, can I help you?" She asks politely with a lot of joy in her eyes.

"Hi, yes, um, im looking for the oldest policeman you have here." I chuckled nervously, I bet I sure did sound like a complete idiot.

"Oh, then you must definitely be looking for Charlie." she let out a chuckle herself, breaking the tension I created. "Take a seat dear, I'll get him for you." she smiled as she got up and walked up to the second floor.

I took a seat and waited patiently, I wondered the heck I'm going to say. I mean, this is already crazy. I waited for five minutes before a man with graying hair came out smiling.

"Hello there, young lady. Is there anything I can help you with?" he asked just as polite as the receptionist. He was quite tall, in fact, probably Bears height and for an old. Man, he still had all his teeth that were straight and shining white.

"Yes, I would like to ask you a few questions if that's okay?" I said, trying to match his politeness. I have him a small smile, hoping my shitty charm would work.

"Sure, follow me to my office." he said, and then he started walking. Soon enough, we entered a neat and organized office with old yet maintained furniture. "Please take a seat, I'm officer Charlie, by the way." he informed me.

"Nice to meet you, Charlie. I'm Kacey, I just moved here to my mum's new vet." I said, hoping he would know her by chance.

"Oh, of course, wonderful your mum is. She helped my Ben get better that old German Shepard has had his days, I guess. I thought he was ready to kick the bucket, but your mum worked her magic and his running around like his a pup." he chuckled. He seemed like a really nice man." But now, what can I help you, Kacey? " he now looked serious as he leaned in and his hands and locked together on his table.

"Well, I want to know about any deaths that happened 30 years ago." I asked. It sounded sort of ridiculous, but hey, I had a mission, and I was fulfilling it.

"well your going to have to be more specific. What sort of death." he looked even more serious than he did now then before.

"The lake, any deaths near the lake." something flashed in his eyes as soon as he heard the lake. I knew immediately as I saw that look on his face that I had gotten him, and now I knew he knew something.

"Why that would be the death of Braxton Harrington." he said without hesitation. It was clear he knew every detail of what happened that night.

"Braxton?." I said, quite confused.

"yes, a 19 year old boy and his sister were driving to their parents' home one night. Braxtons older sister, Delilah, had been driving that night, and that time, the lake had a road next to it that was a shortcut to the freeway. We didn't recommend anybody to use it though because it was unsafe, the turns were to dangerous and that part of the woods was completely dark so any animals passing by wouldn't be Seen by a mile. They unfortunately decided to use that road. They crashed, but the car turned over multiple times until it landed in the lake, Delilah managed to get out of the car while it was in the water, but unfortunately, Braxton never. We managed to get the car out, but when we got it out, the lake Braxtons body wasn't in it. We had divers look for his body, but it was never recovered. I was only 22 years old at the time, but I still remember every single bit of that day. It was the tragedy of this town, I suppose, and they didn't even live here." Braxton was obviously Bear. I mean, it fits the description so well, but where did he get the name Bear from then. I sort of suspected something like this, though. His story is surely tragic and sad, but I can't be crying my eyes out like a small girl because of some sad story. I need to be strong so I can help Bear or Braxton.

"Do you know where I can find Delilah?"