Chapter 48: They're Just Bacon and Eggs

I wake up to the sound of waves crashing. I blink a couple of times and realize where I am. I look up at Alex. His head is resting against the wall and his hand is still on my cheek. I slowly move to get up, trying not to wake him. The lights are still on, even though its morning. 

Alex opens his eyes and looks down at me. He cracks a handsome, sleepy smile and says huskily, "Good morning, Sunshine."

I smile and sit up, leaning my head against the wall like his. "Morning."

"You seem cheery," he says. I shrug. He smiles again. 

"So do you," I say and he looks out at the balcony. 

"Sounds like the ocean," he says. 

"Maybe that's because it is," I say, rolling my eyes. He hits me with his pillow lightly and I return the favour. He laughs and gets up. 

"Let's eat."

***

We've been on the island for a week now. Its been fun. I don't know why, but Alex and I keep taking videos and selfies with each other. Maybe we're bored, but maybe its because we just simply wanna remember. 

We've been to the stations and walks inland as well as two of the lakes. We've seen a dozen dingos and a Goana. We heard a Kookaburra laugh and saw a flock of galahs. 

I'm lathering on my sunscreen when Mum calls me downstairs. I race down, grabbing my water bottle and towel as I go. 

"Ready?" she asks when I arrive. I nod. 

"Mum, have you washed my one piece or my swim shirt yet?" I ask. She shakes her head. Damn, now I have to wear this dodgy bikini. It's disgusting and I was going to throw my swim shirt over the top, but now that isn't an option. 

I sigh and dash outside before Mum. I hop in the ute and strap up my seat belt. Alex gears the engine and looks over at me. 

"You look bummed, what's up?" he asks. 

"I have to wear a bikini," I mumble. 

"What?" Alex leans over, cupping his ear. 

"I have to wear a bikini," I say, louder. 

"Yes!" he says, pumping his fist in the air. "You know I love those."

"Hey!" I say, playfully shoving him. He laughs. The other two cars pull away. Alex shifts the gear. 

"Sorry," he says. "I just meant you look beautiful in anything."

I look over at him and he pulls away from the driveway. He doesn't seem to notice my blush to I wind down the window and pop on my sunglasses.

***

The lake is the bluest thing I've ever seen. A hundred meters away, fish leap out of the water. Paul, Lucas and Felecia go swim in the shallows while Alex and I make a sandcastle with Liam. He eats the sand before Michelle pulls him away. Alex and I stand, brushing ourselves off. 

"So..." Alex starts, not knowing what to say. 

"Let's go swim?" I say, phrasing it as a question.  He nods and peels his shirt off. I stare at him for a few seconds before he grins and flips up his sunnies. 

"Dude," he says and I look up. "If you want some of this you could just say so."

I roll my eyes, shoving him. "You wish."

"Damn yeah I do," he says. I roll my eyes and take off my shorts shirt. The cold air hits my stomach and I shiver. I feel as exposed as I usually do when I wear bikinis, especially since there's a group of twenty-year-old Australians playing soccer on the sand, watching me.