39. Selfless Idiots

Alright, so I did post a new update on Catching the Storm, but I won't be posting another one for a while. Besides the fact that my finals for the year are coming up, I also signed a contract to put Password Incorrect on another platform, so, I kind of really have to finish it.

Before you all start jumping to conclusions, yes Password Incorrect will still be completed and on wattpad. I'm not taking it down, I just have to finish it faster than I planned to.

Fortunately, there are only six chapters left, not including this one, and only have four of them left to actually write.

So, yeah. I have to finish it.

Anyway, enjoy!

Nicky's POV

I now wish, more than anything, that I had just stayed in the hotel with Ryder.

Yes, maybe I would have still ended up running for the rest of my life, but at least it would have been with him. And now, I'll never get the chance to tell him the truth. To tell him exactly what he means to me.

I slowly creep out of my hiding place after I watch him pass by. No way I intend to be caught by him again. No. I intend to catch him off guard. I intend to end this.

I walk quietly without making a sound, each step confident, unlike how I feel.

The gun is gripped firmly in my hands as I walk toward the doorway he disappeared through. I hear the floor creak behind me and whirl around with the gun raised, but there's nothing there.

I go to turn back the doorway behind me when I'm grabbed from behind. One arm pins my arms-especially the one with gun-to my sides and another covers my mouth.

"Tell me," The arm around me tightens as I struggle to pull myself free. "What exactly was your plan here?"

I feel like I can't breathe. I struggle and struggle to get out of his hold but it's useless. I'm not going anywhere. I feel tears well up in my eyes and I try to blink them back. There are no words to describe the sheer terror running through my veins.

Yes, I knew it was likely I was going to die. No, that doesn't mean I want to die.

"I mean on a stupidity scale . . . this plan is . . . above the scale."

It's only after he says that, that I actually hear the voice whispering in my ear.

I feel myself sag against him in relief and he releases the hand from my mouth, but still keeps me pinned to him.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me," I mutter.

He's the devil.

But then again, I knew this already.

That's the only explanation I can come up with for why he just appears out of thin air every time I'm thinking of him. Like he's been summoned.

"There's no need for the language, rusty."

"Hypocrite," I growl out suddenly very angry with him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Keeping you from getting killed," Ryder replies quietly. "I thought that was obvious."

The anger I'm feeling with him is slowly being replaced by panic. He cannot be here. He can't. I can't lose him. He needs to leave. Now.

Unfortunately, I'm smart enough to know the probability of getting rid of him.