Chapter 20

"Kyrie, darling, I love you dearly, but are you sure we need to find out if you can still fly and carry me at the same time?" Loki asked nervously a couple of days later. You were up on top of the tower, the level that was the flight deck for Tony, Thor, and jets.

"Cap insisted," you reminded him. Cap wanted to know your capabilities, everyone did. Cap was on the roof with you. Stark was in the air already. Thor was standing by. "Loki, I'm not going to let you fall. You've known me your entire life. Have I ever let you down?"

"No," he admitted softly. "I just really dislike flying," he reminded you and you could hear the fear in his voice, though he hid that fear from the others.

"I know. I also know it's because you can't fly yourself. Trust me, love," you bid him. "You're the best one for this test. My skin won't hurt you. If something does happen, which it won't, you're capable of teleporting to safety. If something happens, which again, it won't, I'll teleport you to safety. Plus Stark and your idiot brother are standing by to rescue us just in case. You'll be fine," you reminded him firmly.

He sighed heavily. "I go on record hating this idea," he grumbled.

You laughed. "At least we're not jumping headfirst off a cliff this time, being chased by bilgesnipe," you reminded him.

"No, we're only jumping headfirst off the tallest building in the city," he commented dryly. You laughed, wrapped an arm around his waist and walked with him to the edge of the roof.

"Ready?" you asked.

"Hardly," he grumbled, but wrapped his arms firmly around your neck. "This is a terrible idea," he reminded you.

"Trust me, my prince, I am your sworn Valkyrie, I will not allow any harm to come to you,"

He sighed, but kissed your cheek. "Very well, my angel," he replied. Before he could change his mind, you did exactly what he feared and leapt off of the roof, bringing him with you. Your wings were folded tightly against your back. You laughed in joy at the feel of the wind on your face as you plummeted headfirst for the ground. "You're supposed to be flying!" Loki yelled at you. You laughed at him and spread your wings, swooping up on an air current. With a couple of wing flaps you were back up at the level of the flight deck. It was a strain on your back muscles, but you managed to get you two even higher.

"Open your eyes, love. It's beautiful up here," you bid him, hovering above the city, flapping your wings to keep your altitude.

"Yes, you are," he told you, opening his eyes to look at you.

"You're supposed to be looking at the skyline, silly prince," you replied. He glanced at the skyline.

"Ok, I've seen it. Can we return to firm ground now?" he asked.

"In a second," you told him. He looked over at you confused. You kissed him.

"That part is not so bad," he told you softly, but his grip was still tight around your neck. You carefully flew the two of you back down to the flight deck. "Let us not do that again," Loki said, firmly.

"Only if it's necessary," you agreed as you folded your wings against your back, though you cringed when the muscles in your back protested. Thor congratulated you and Tony landed again. Cap agreed that was enough of a test for the day. Loki moved behind you and touched your back. He had seen your cringe. "I'm ok," you told him, turning to look at him.

He rolled his eyes. "Sure you are, darling. You haven't worn your wings this long in centuries. Come on," he grabbed your wrist. You dug in your heels and tugged ineffectively at his vice-like grip. You could make him let you go, but you preferred for him to do it on his own. He chuckled. "I'm not going to hurt you, little Valkyrie," he teased. A moment later you were in his bedroom.