Chapter Thirty-Five

My foot ached inside my tennis shoe, injured in the mad dash through the logs. I wished for a set of eyes in the back of my head. It made no sense that the creature gave up so easily—it wasn't like I'd hurt it that badly. But why would it let me go?

The sun had dropped behind the trees, and the shadows deepened to a false, eerie darkness. It couldn't be any later than four o'clock, but it felt like late evening.

And then the forest ended. There was no thinning of trees, or warning that I was close to a clear area. I rounded a corner, and all the trees were gone, and my soon-to-be-home loomed in front of me.

I hadn't gotten a good look the last time I was here, but I was struck again with how impressive the house was from afar. Three stories tall, made of a dark stone, the uneven roof and spires a jagged silhouette against the dusky sky. Still, I couldn't see what Amena was obsessed about. Each step revealed signs of disrepair—the crumbling foundation, peeling paint, a loose shutter—and, while large, the house couldn't hold more than twenty-five adults. The Pixie's home in Adven was larger, prettier, and held more people than this house.

I reached the porch and slowly climbed up the steps.

Here we go.

I rapped on the front door.

A young-looking Fairy answered, pulling the door open just enough so she could see out. Her large, blue eyes widened when she saw me. "May I help you?"

I cleared my throat. "Yes, I'm here to see Edlark. I mean, King Edlark."

"I'll see if he's available. Who may I say is visiting?"

"I'm Hazel Michelli."

She shut the door without offering for me to come in, or even asking me to wait.

I leaned against the porch railing and crossed my arms over my chest. Didn't the Fairies have manners? And why didn't they fix up the house? It wouldn't take much to make it as beautiful up close as it was from far away.

Shoot. I sounded like the Pixie Queen, putting my own perceptions of what was right on others. Maybe they had a very good reason for not fixing the house. Or for leaving me outside. Who was I to judge them?

The door opened, and Edlark stepped through. A wide burgundy sash crossed his chest and was belted into place at his hips. Tight black pants revealed obviously well-endowed man-parts, and I had trouble not staring. I forced my eyes up to meet his and blushed at the grin playing on his lips.

"Um, hi." Damn it. Again, he had the advantage. Didn't anything fluster this man?

"Hello, Hazel."

"So... How are you?"

"Fine, thank you. And you?"

He was not going to let me off the hook. I closed my eyes. "I've come back, because I would like..."

My voice drifted off, because my throat tingled, and my tongue wouldn't form the words. I swallowed and hugged myself tighter. "I would like to..."

I looked over his shoulder, focused on a strip of paint that curled up from the window sill behind him. Clearing my throat, I finally forced the words out. "I'd like to take you up on your offer."

I didn't want to look at him. I didn't want to see the smug, self-satisfied smile I was sure he had on his face. I also didn't want him to see the tears that crowded into my eyes or how my chin quivered.

"Let's go inside." He put his hand on my shoulder. The warmth of his touch invaded my stomach and made it flip a sickened rotation, but I let him guide me through the door. I hobbled down the hallway into the private den, where he motioned for me to sit. I sank into the chair I'd previously sat in, grateful my wobbly legs didn't have to support my weight anymore.

Think of it as a business arrangement.

I clenched my hands into a ball in my lap. Until this moment, the agreement had been academic and distant. Now, here I was, agreeing to enter into a relationship with someone I didn't know or love. My heart thumped at the base of my throat, and I pulled the images of Garron and Meara, pale and fragile, from my memory. I lifted my head and sat up a little straighter in the chair. I would do anything to save my children.

"When can we bring Garron and Meara, so you can heal them?" I ignored how thin my voice sounded. If Edlark noticed, he didn't let on.

"I will call for the Binding Fairy. After the ceremony, we will go to Arden's."

Anger raced through my veins and heated my cheeks. Now I got it. He could show off his trophy, rub Arden's nose in his victory. "And when will that be?"

"Tomorrow morning, I imagine."

"Can't we do it tonight?"

Edlark shook his head. "I'm pleased you're so anxious to be bound to me, but the ceremony must take place in the rays of the dawning sun."

I stared at him. "But what if it's too late for the kids? I don't know what condition they're in. Arden said—"

"They will be fine until after the ceremony."

"You don't know that!"

"I do."

"How?"

A faint grin touched his lips. "Your mother certainly is feisty. She gave me—what do you humans call it—a piece of her mind. Perhaps that's where you come by the trait."

"I'm adopted." Wait a minute. How could he know anything about my mother and the kids, unless he went to Arden's already. "You checked on my kids?"

He sat in the chair beside me. The scent of cinnamon, allspice, ginger and cloves drifted over, reminding me of autumn and apple cider. He smelled great.

"I'm not a monster, Hazel. I wanted to make sure..." He broke off and glanced away, like he was ashamed for caring. This time, I wasn't going to let him off the hook.

"Make sure of what?"

He turned emerald eyes back to me, and his expression softened. "That they were not too far gone."

I goggled at him. He'd been a butt-head the whole time I'd known him, didn't appear to care at all about me or my family, but he went to make sure my children were all right?

"What if they were in danger?" I asked, "What would you have done?"

He swallowed, and all of a sudden I became aware of how closely he was sitting to me. I could practically feel the heat of his body.

"They aren't. Not yet. You came in time."

"But if I hadn't, what then?" Had I given in too soon? If I waited, would he have eventually caved? Did I want to take that risk? "Arden will see to your needs. You don't need to have me...in your family."

The mask slipped over his face, and the wall of inflexibility dropped into place. "You are wrong. You don't know Arden as well as you think. Your perception of him is distorted by your feelings. I do what I must to protect my people. I suggest you do the same."

He stood. "I will show you to your room."

I ground my teeth together so I didn't growl at the man. There he went again, ordering me about. "You don't have to be such a jerk, you know. You could make this easier."

He leveled cold eyes to me. "Come now." He glided to the door and opened it. "We'll talk tomorrow—after the ceremony."