Resurrection

This is my entry for WattRowling's Deathly Hallows contest. It won first place!! Enjoy:)

The hairs on my arms stand on end from the cold in the air

The hairs on my arms stand on end from the cold in the air. It doesn't bother me. I look down in wonder at the marvellous woman below me. My beloved looks so peaceful with her eyes shut and her face relaxed. She is dazzling. Her untimely death didn't make her any less beautiful.

A fresh wave of pain tugs at my heart. She shouldn't be here. She shouldn't have to lie here on this cold, stone slab, waiting to be buried. It isn't fair. She should've lived forever.

I've been standing here for the past week, just looking at her. Oh, how I miss her lovely voice, her wonderful laugh. How I wish I could tear her killer to shreds. Her death has ripped me apart. For the past week, I haven't been able to do anything. I haven't been able to think of anything, other than that fateful day, at the Battle of Hogwarts. I should have kept a closer eye on her. I should have protected her.

I just couldn't bring myself to put her in the ground. She deserved better. She deserves more. Now, I'm glad I haven't buried her yet. I've had an idea.

I know how to bring her back.

"Not much longer now, my Heart, my Queen," I say as I stroke her perfect cheek. "Soon, very soon, you will be alive once more."

With those last words, I step away from her and disapparate.

When I reappear in Hogsmeade, I look up at the grand castle. What I need can be found here, I'm sure of it. All three were here during the Battle, and all three should still be here.

None of them are easy to get my claws on, though. I'll have to get the cloth last, as it will be the most dangerous of them all. It will be the best protected. The stone will take the most time to find, and I might be discovered while searching for it. So I decide to start my quest with the wand. After all, it won't be missed from its location once I've taken it. And it won't be protected. It might be visited, but not protected.

Even in the dead of night, the location of the wand isn't hard to find. I soon find myself standing over the old man's grave. It is littered with flowers and goodbye letters and other memorabilia. I remember when he was my teacher, here at this very school. I was never his favourite student. Then again, I don't think I've ever been anyone's favourite.

Just as I reach for my wand in my pocket, a twig snaps behind me and I wheel around. A wave of light illuminates me; it's so bright I can't see who holds the wand.

"Oh, I do apologise, Mr Ferox," says a familiar voice. "I didn't expect anyone here at this time of night."

"I'm sorry, Professor." My voice isn't much more than a whisper; hoarse from disuse. "I just wanted to pay my respects to a great man."

The light is lowered, now illuminating the coffin behind me. Professor McGonagall stares at it with sadness in her eyes. "He was the greatest man who ever lived."