The Untameable Texan - Part 4

CHAPTER FOUR

Texas financier Jed Farrell can’t forget the night of passion he shared with Kimberly six weeks ago. He’s determined to find out why she left without saying good-bye…

Kimberly awoke to a pounding headache and the sensation of doom. Keeping her eyes closed after fainting at Jed’s feet sounded like a good idea, but that cowardly impulse would only last for so long.

She moved restlessly, feeling perspiration trickle down her back. When she sat up, her head swam uncomfortably. The man she had been so surprised to see sat next to her behind the wheel of a nondescript sedan, staring at her, eyes narrowed.

“How do you feel?” he asked.

She wet her dry lips. “Fine.”

“Liar.”

He had apparently carried her to his car, reclined the passenger seat and placed her there.

“How long was I out?”

“Three or four minutes. I was giving you two more before I headed for the hospital. Want to tell me what’s going on?”

Her stomach flipped over hard. “I don’t know what you mean. It’s hot today. I was surprised to see you.”

“The girl I remember wasn’t such a fragile flower that a little warm weather and an unexpected meeting could take her down.”

“I’m fine now,” she said. “Thanks for scraping me off the sidewalk.” She reached for her purse on the floorboard of the car.

When she put her hand on the car door, Jed started the engine and locked all the doors from his side. “I’m taking you home.”

“I have to get back to work. I went to the bank to make a deposit. They’re expecting me to return.”

His steely-eyed gaze brooked no opposition. “Bald-faced lies, Kimberly? I already spoke to the shop. I was coming to see you, because they said you had the afternoon off.”

She didn’t bother defending the indefensible. “I can walk from here. It’s not far.”

“I’ll take you.” Turning on the engine, he pulled out into the flow of traffic.

 Frantically, she sought for a way to get rid of him. “This wasn’t necessary, but thanks for the ride.”

As they approached the home she had shared with her grandmother for so many years, she winced. The yard was ragged, the bushes in bad need of a trim. Paint peeled beneath the gutters, and the vinyl siding could use a wash.

Ordinarily, things didn’t seem so bad, but she looked at it now with the eyes of a stranger. Only Jed wasn’t a stranger. Not really.

He put the gearshift in park and came around to the passenger side. Unlocking her door, he scooped her into his arms, ignoring her protests. At the doorstep of her house, he waited for her to fish out her key and then took it from her. Whenever she left home, she cut off the A/C completely to save money. Hot air greeted them as they entered.

Jed closed the door with his hip and strode into the living room, depositing her gently on the couch. “What do you want to drink?”

“Anything in the fridge.” This was a nightmare.

He looked as if he wanted to say more, but he must have realized that the stifling atmosphere needed to be addressed. “Don’t move,” he said. He disappeared. Moments later she felt a whoosh of cool breeze as the air-conditioning kicked on. In no time, Jed was back, carrying a glass of iced tea. He gave it to her and placed his hand on her forehead. “You don’t feel like you have a temperature.”