Chapter 2

Catherine vacated her seat beside the fire as Roberts escorted the gentlemen from the law firm into the study; it was the most private place in the house to conduct a meeting, besides Catherine hadn't wanted to trouble Thomas with moving to another room. Though if there were papers to be studied and signed they may trouble for space on the small, round table that currently housed their barely touched tray of tea, perhaps the dining room would have been a better choice.

Thomas eyed the pensive expression on his mother's face and cleared his throat to gain her attention. "Thank you for tea mother, we shall resume our conversation once I've entertained these gentlemen."

In a way he had known what she had been thinking. Her new questioning attitude was alien, even to herself; she never would have doubted her own decisions so much when George had been alive, but these days she feared much for the eggshells being walked upon.

Smiling acceptance in her defeat Catherine made for the door to exit the study. "Yes of course, Thomas. Do help yourselves to tea gentlemen, no use in letting it get cold." She gestured to the tray on the table as the two men gathered themselves inside the study. "Edward, have Mary bring up some more cups would you."

The footman had just fetched in an extra chair from the dining room and almost jumped at being accosted for yet another request as he set it down opposite the fireplace. But he nodded his assent with a fleeting, "Yes Ma'am." and hurried off downstairs in search of the housemaid. Despite the sombre atmosphere the last few months had cast over the household, it seemed there had hardly ever been a quiet moment, particularly for the staff to enjoy and Catherine did not fail to notice the harried expression on Edward's face as he passed her in the doorway. Roberts worked him hard she knew, and as a lone footman a lot of duties fell on his shoulders, he could probably do with a break – before he began to resent his position in the household. If truth be told they probably all would benefit from the same.

"Thank you Mrs Crawford, most generous." Mr Black grinned at her brightly as he hooked his grey bowler hat over the back of the chair and shrugged out of his overcoat. Jewels of moisture glittered on the charcoal fabric of the matching hat and coat, the sky outside was just as grey and a terrible damp mist hung in the air. "And I must say, that fire is most welcome, it's a grim day outside for sure."

"Not about to be made grimmer, I hope," Catherine said, in the hopes that the men might drop her some hint of the business they meant to discuss with their son; Mr Black seemed much more likely to give something away going by his warm and jovial nature. But before he could say a word, stern-faced Mr Cartwright cleared his throat while Thomas said, "Mother!" in a tone that much matched the man's expression.

"Sorry." She apologised with a weary sigh. "It is not for me to intrude. Do make yourselves at home gentlemen, I shall leave you to your business." She turned to her son and added for his benefit, "Roberts will be here should you require anything."

"Thank you, but Mother do stop fussing," he said with a shake of his head. He hated the extra attention, the different treatment he was forced to rely on since the war, and Catherine's extra concern and coddling while company was present served only to embarrass the young man.

Though it irked her somewhat to be turned out of a room in her own house, Catherine swept out of the study without another word; she would not venture very far and besides she had complete confidence that Thomas would fill her in on the details of the meeting once it was over. She passed Mary on her way into the dining room, the maid carried the extra cups she had requested on a handsomely decorated silver tray. It seemed almost foolish to use yet another tray just to carry two cups but Mrs Blake was a stickler for propriety, so used to serving in a larger households, and would not see one of her maids carrying crockery for guests with their bare hands. Catherine cast the petite woman gentle smile but all she received in return was a quick bob of a curtsey as Mary hurried on her way. Most time she barely got two words out of the woman, it was lucky really that she had Esther and Mrs Blake to speak to otherwise no one would have any idea should she ever have a problem.