Chapter One: An Enthusiastic Scholar

Alex Bailey sat at her desk in the front row of the classroom, listening to every word her teacher said. School was her favourite place in the world. The same, however, could not be said for her brother Conner, who had fallen asleep yet again in Mrs. Peters' class. "Mr. Bailey" said Mrs. Peters, not happy with Conner. It was the third time this week that he had fallen asleep in her class. Conner jolted awake when Mrs. Peters spoke in his ear. "I'm so sorry Mrs. Peters" he said apologetically, really meaning it. He had only meant to put his head down for a few minutes. "You're lucky I'm fresh out of detention slips. But stay awake next time, because I can always request more." the teacher said sharply.  "Now, back to fairy tales. Who here can tell me the main moral of the story 'Sleeping Beauty'?" she asked, and Alex's hand shot up. "Ms. Bailey?" she asked. "There are two morals of the story 'Sleeping Beauty'." she began. "And you could argue that either is more important than the other. One of them is that you should be careful who you offend, because if Aurora's parents had just invited the enchantress to the christening, she probably wouldn't have cursed her, and given her a great gift instead to show off to the other fairies.  And the other is that love is the most powerful force in the world, because the only thing that can break Aurora's curse is true love's kiss." Alex answered the question perfectly. "Thank you Ms. Bailey said Mrs. Peters. "Would you look at the time!" she exclaimed. "Well, time does fly when you're having fun. Your homework tonight is to choose your favourite fairy tale and write an essay on the morals it teaches. Class dismissed." she said a minute before the bell rang.