1

1 | DEAD MAN LIES

1 | DEAD MAN LIES

THATCHER CALLOWAY TAPPED HIS pencil on his desk at the library. The teen, who as usual was dressed in all black, sat in the deep corner of the library staring at his geometry textbook that was boring the poor teen to death.

But that wasn't the only thing the teen was annoyed with.

Of course, there were the struggled questions that dawned him in the textbook, but the real problems were real life. It had been a solid week since he and his grandfather moved into the small house near a mortuary.

And he was not happy about the uprooting of his entire life to a small town who had so little history that the only important thing that the town was known for was a Witch Trial, hundreds of years ago that killed fourteen witches.

But that was absolute bullshit.

As if that was actually real, Thatcher, who was a history buff, knew about countless American moments throughout history. The Witch Trials that littered the East coast were in reality just outcasted people that made the rest of their townspeople uncomfortable, so they were killed for it.

Thatcher also hated this school.

It looked like it was still stuck in the 1970s. And it looked nothing like the modern school he attended before leaving for Greendale, which irritated him even more. Thatcher was bored at staring the horribly red walls and lockers that encased the school, which he would personally renovate himself if he had the chance too.

The other students weren't great either.

Within his first week, he had been shoved into the wall of lockers multiple times by multiple football players which made him even angrier than before. There was only one thing he could actually look forward to.

Halloween.

In Thatcher's old town, Halloween was the biggest holiday they celebrated all year. In some towns, it was Christmas or New Year's Eve, but in his small town of Rydell, it was Halloween. 

The amount of preparation that encased the simple one night holiday was ridiculous, and people started to get ready within the first few days of October. Houses would be covered in scary decorations, haunted houses would open up and be a massive local attraction, and the costumes were always prepared weeks before the day. Countless parties would be running the weekend before, and no matter the day of the week — everyone would be out in the Doyle family mansion at their annual Halloween party.

"Can you stop tapping your pencil please?" a feminine voice echoed in front of Thatcher, who completely zoned out.

Thatcher jumped in his seat, shaking his head trying to find the face to connect it back to the voice that had interrupted his thoughts. He finally found a dark skinned girl with curly hair and glasses standing in front of him, with two of her friends standing by her side — one with short blonde hair, and the other with shorter brown hair.