Chapter Seven

The morning’s celebration was ending when I returned.  Breakfast had been served and finished and the maids busily worked themselves around the room collecting plates.  My grandmother waved me over.  I did my best not to sulk as I headed for her table; I was still upset for allowing Darren to get the best of me.

The women at her table all broke into fits of giggles as I approached.  Again, Darren’s grandmother sprang up from the table.  She looked me over. “Didn’t break my poor grandson’s heart, did you?”

The look I gave her must have said it all—she winced. “Darren can be difficult at the best of times…”

“Like trying to tame the wind,” piped the brown-skinned woman, grinning. Snickers sounded from around the table prompting a frown from Daren’s grandmother.  It was good to know that his attitude wasn’t solely reserved for me.

“In any case,” she continued.  “It has been a real pleasure to meet you Anastasia.  You truly are a lovely girl.”

“Thank you.” I did my best to keep the anger from my voice. There was absolutely no chance I was ever going to marry her grandson. Absolutely none.

My grandmother stood up next, and took me around the room for a quick meet-and-greet with who I guessed were some of the important people I would need to know.  Most were very old, and many spoke to me in that high-pitched tone one usually uses when speaking to very young children, as if growing up outside of Brighton meant I knew nothing at all. It hardly improved my mood, but each bowed just the same, expressing how wonderful it was for Brighton to have its heir.  That, and again how remarkably I resembled my dead aunt.

It occurred to me, as I watched everyone file out of the ballroom, that it was pretty rude of me to skip out on my own welcome party. If I’d known what awaited me outside, I’d have gladly stayed.

My grandmother walked me as far as the stairwell that led up to my mother and aunt’s part of the house.  I noticed a hint of emotion in her face once she stopped short of the first stair. 

“The afternoon is yours to spend however you like.  I have some important matters that need my attention, and they will probably take up most of the day.  Whatever you choose to do, please try to be finished by six o’clock.  I want you to meet me in my study so that we can go over a few things.”

“Okay.”

She gave one more thoughtful glance up the stairs and then turned and headed back toward the ballroom.   I upped the stairs at a run, eager to be alone.

********************

I spent the afternoon lounging around my room in an old pair of sweat pants and a t-shirt.  They felt wonderful after having to put on that dress.  “Baby steps,” I told myself.  I thought of visiting the rest of the grounds, but that meant sacrificing the comfy little cocoon my room provided.  I wasn’t willing to give that up.

I tried to put on the smile and pretend that everything was okay, but it wasn’t. My mother hovered constantly at the edges of my mind, wrapped in fears and worries, threatening to storm into the forefront. I couldn’t escape the feeling that being here was wrong, that for all its splendor, she’d kept me from this place for a reason. There had to be something I didn’t know, something important.

**********

Helena brought me the phone a little after five.  “Darren.”  She looked to be about as thrilled as I was.

I made sure to sigh into the phone. “What do you want?”

“My grandmother insisted that I inquire as to how you were getting to school tomorrow.”