16 | treatment

|

1 6

t r e a t m e n t

|

"Gregorovitch, come," I dragged the wandmaker by the wrist to the other side of the room.

Before I began to speak, I cast a Muffliato to prevent Baradar from overhearing our conversation.

"I think Legilimens can only invade into someone's brain. I can only access Jabez's brain and his memories, but not Baradar's. I reckon it's because it's still Jabez's body, although Baradar was the one in control. And I think I heard Jabez's voice when I was in his brain. I mean, the real him,"

"Jabez? What did he say?" gasped Gregorovitch in shock, urging me to tell him more. The wandmaker did care about the young man a lot.

"I could only hear him say 'please, help me'. He sounded weak, as though he had fought for so long and was very exhausted. I'm not sure if the voice was only from his memory or it's really him trying to talk to me,"

"Assuming it's really Jabez asking for help, if I'm not mistaken, that means inside Jabez's body, there are two souls - one belongs to Akbar, one belongs to Jabez. And Jabez's soul is obviously suppressed by Akbar's," Gregorovitch speculated, fiddling his white beard.

"I thought Akbar's only controlling Jabez's body remotely, like using an Imperius Curse. What makes you think that there are actually two souls in Jabez's body?"

"Girl, it's obvious - Jabez still has his mind functioning with no problem. He could seize the precious chance to ask you for help, which means that he knows what's happening outside, even when the body isn't in his control. If he's like what you said, under an Imperius, he should be completely out of his mind,"

"If that's true, I suppose Akbar probably knows that Jabez has tried to seek help. That's why he forced me out of his brain once I heard Jabez's voice," I held my chin subconsciously when I was pondering before a certain scene I'd seen in Jabez's memory popped up in my head.

I continued, "I remember Akbar has told me that he and Jabez have a master-servant bond, bonded by some kind of ancient magic. Akbar being the superior, can control both Jabez's soul and body. I've seen the ceremony they had. Jabez, on his knees, had said something that I can't understand. Then, there's light coming out of his body and the white glow wrapped around the brothers' bodies, linking them together,"

"That's must be it. If we know what kind of magic it is, we may be able to save Jabez from Akbar's control."

We didn't expect that Baradar would tell us anything about the "master-servant bond". Without any help from books, there's no way we could gain any knowledge of the ancient magic bond.

Speaking of knowledge, I thought of someone in particular. She's the library with flesh and blood. I hoped Hermione Granger could answer my questions.

I borrowed Gregorovitch's owl to send two letters, one to Hermione, the other one to Olayinka, both with the same purpose of asking if they knew anything about the ancient magic bond. Although Hermione was knowledgeable, I thought it's never a bad idea to ask for a localer's opinion. Besides, Hermione was in another continent, it's going to take so long for the owl to bring us a reply from her, while Olayinka who's living in the same desert could give us a much quicker response.