Pressing Suit

Dinner the following evening was a jolly affair. Lord Carleigh waited until everyone had taken their fill before he spoke up. "Hugh de Croix," he called out in a voice designed to draw attention. When every eye was on him and the hubbub had died down, he continued. "Have you given thought to our short conversation by the gate?" Chuckles rippled around the room, since every man who'd seen the pair in conference that day could see where he was headed with this topic. Innocent of her uncle's intention, Belinda paid only amused attention.

"I have, Lord Carleigh. Lord Merrick released me from his service this afternoon, which leaves me well able to see to my new holdings immediately. I hope to have the gates and wall repaired before fall. If all goes according to plan, the inner bailey should be well in hand as well." Mistaking the conversation his host was referring to, de Croix began to detail his plans. With a tolerant air, Lord Edward listened. "And, with a quarry nearby as well, it would seem as though the work should take that much less time," the young baron finished.

"It would seem so," agreed Lord Edward. He paused with a deceptively calm air. "And after that, once you have repaired your new keep, it will take a lady to properly finish it, not so?" He paused as if to consider it.

Finally realizing which conversation by the gate his new lord was referring to, de Croix flushed crimson. The men around him laughed out loud, for they'd all figured it out before him. Still, the new baron kept his wits about him and bowed. "It certainly would, My Liege. And if you would permit me to bear remembrance of another certain conversation, there is only one lady suited to the task."

Carleigh opened his mouth, but de Croix continued on, perfectly aware that he'd stolen the older man's thunder. "Not only is she the most beautiful maiden I have ever laid eyes on, I have seen for myself the skill with which this lady employs spinning wheel, loom and needle, observed her ability to cope with hardship, her generosity and faithfulness. She is the very epitome of gentility, in comparison to whom all other maidens fall abysmally short. Therefore, I must ask for the hand of your own ward, Dame Belinda Fitzgerald."

Lord Edward listened with a grave air, nodding his complete agreement. "You would ask me for the jewel of Carleigh; my prize and very joy? By your own admission, my niece, my only living relative, is uncommonly beautiful, gracious, accomplished, generous and faithful. What makes you think for any instant that you are worthy of her?"

Belinda was blushing beet red by this time, pleased and embarrassed all at once by the way they spoke of her. Lord Edward hadn't looked at her once since he'd stood up but de Croix couldn't take his eyes off of her.

When Lord Hugh opened his mouth to answer the questions, Lord Edward continued, cutting the younger man off. "Well, worthy or not, you have my permission to seek Dame Belinda's hand. But know this, young Baron de Croix, if she rebuffs you, it will be without remedy from me." He sat down with a humorous expression, earning the laughter of those around them by his abrupt change in tone.

The young lord turned to Dame Belinda and bowed deeply before approaching her. "My lady, Dame Belinda, would you do me the honor of accepting my suit?"

Over her embarrassment, Dame Belinda was enjoying the spectacle and of no mind to let Hugh de Croix off easily. She nodded slowly. "I will hear your case."

He swallowed, seeming to be suddenly nervous but Belinda only watched him, holding his gaze with her own. "Dame Belinda, I am the lord of a hundred acres of land, including forest, a quarry, ploughed fields and a modest keep. I am given to understand, however, that this keep has fallen into disrepair. Will you aid me in building it up, in making it a home and a proper baronial hall?"

Belinda blinked. "Why would I do that?" It was the first thing that popped into her head. The listening knights and men-at-arms howled with laughter.