Chapter 2: Blackout

I  don't own Transformers

---

"What was that? Deceptions?!" Bulkhead exclaimed, spinning on his heels in the sudden darkness as if he expected them to be behind him.

"More like a power outage," Ratchet answered cooly, looking towards the dully glowing monitors as they flickered back to life. "We have backup power but just enough for essential functions." As if for emphasis, the lights clicked back on, but were only half as bright as usual. "It seems much of Jasper has been affected."

"I believe it would be wise if you three spent the night at our base." All eyes turned to the doorway where their leader stood. No one had heard him approach in all the commotion. "I recommend you call your parents to alert them."

Miko tried her phone and whined in frustration, "No signal, lines must be down." She shoved her phone into her pocket with a pout. Raf had no luck, either.

"We may be able to reach Nurse Darby via our communications system," Optimus turned to Ratchet as he spoke, silently requesting the Medic's assistance.

With a nod Ratchet turned to the computers and began typing, "Very well, its best we contact her anyway to inform her of her son's condition."

"Don't you dare," Jack groaned, only to be shushed by Arcee.

"Are you unwell, Jack?" Optimus eyed the boy with hidden concern. Humans were just so fragile.

"He's got the flu," Raf explained before Jack could complain again. Optimus nodded slowly, though he still wasn't entirely sure what that meant, he could infer from his team's reactions.

Just then Ratchet spoke up. "Nurse Darby, can you hear me?"

Though there was no video, through the speakers they could hear the ambient sounds of a Hospital in chaos.

"What? Okay.. hold on, I've just-" there was a click of a closing door and the background sounds became more muffled. "There, sorry everyone's all worked up about the blackout. Even with the generators we're scrambling to keep up. Is that what you're calling about? Is everything okay?"

"Yes and no, Nurse Darby. The kids are indeed here at the base. We feel it's safest to keep them overnight but due to the storm Rafael and Miko can't reach their parents." Ratchet hesitated.

"Oh that's no problem, I'll get ahold of them and say they're staying with me tonight."

Ratchet shifted on his peds. "That's not the only reason we've called, I'm afraid. It seems Jack has been affected by this 'flu'," He waited, fully expecting yelling.

"What symptoms is he displaying? What's his temperature? Is he dehydrated?" June slipped easily into nurse-mode, but her voice was tense with motherly concern.

"My scans show he's at 102.4°F, and adequately hydrated. He's developed a cough and is shivering, he's also a lighter color if that means anything." Ratchet rubbed his helm awkwardly, uncomfortable with his lack of knowledge on the subject.

Jack covered his eyes with his arm dramatically, partly from embarrassment partly because even the dimed lights seemed to burn his eyes. "And a headache," he added in defeat.

June's voice softened as she addressed him, "Aww, I'm sorry honey, but you know the drill. Rest up okay? And Ratchet, thank you. He should be alright as long as he takes it easy and stays hydrated. If anything changes let me know, and if not, call me in the morning anyway."

Ratchet nodded, though she couldn't see him, "Of course, thank you Nurse Darby. I'll keep you posted on his condition."

"Thank you, all of you. Love you Jack, feel better sweetie." As June hung up they could hear her colleagues calling for her.