Shopping Shenanigans

Mabel was not the kind of woman to become frazzled.

Between dating a demonic guardian from Hell, dying to save said place, and then being brought back to life by some nice folks in Heaven, she considered herself experienced in most things.

Unfortunately, maneuvering through the busy Saturday morning crowds at the nearest Costco never got easier, regardless of how many times one cheated death.

"Excuse me," she mumbled, trying (and failing) to duck between a gathering of couples who apparently knew each other and were having a nice long catch-up about their lives and children right in the middle of the Canned Goods aisle.

Huffing a sigh when one of the women shifted forward to hug another, Mabel quickly darted away, hiking her purse up her shoulder and barely stifling a groan when she realized she still had six more aisles to go before she reached the one she wanted.

And there were probably a thousand people standing in her way. Perhaps for someone of normal height, this scenario would prevent only minor issues; however, Mabel was barely five feet tall-she'd sooner get trampled than actually get to the toilet paper alive.

Of course, the conniving part of her mind spoke up, we could always get some help . . .

Well, there was a relatively decent idea.

I shouldn't bother him, Mabel argued mentally. Really. I'll be fine and-

The thought hadn't even finished forming when she was hit in the back by a shopping cart. Squealing unattractively, Mabel stumbled forward several steps before slamming into the large metal pillar of an aisle.

"Ouch," she grumbled, pushing off the pillar and spinning around to face her assailant.

It was a man probably several years older than her, standing by his cart and looking beyond embarrassed. "I am so sorry," he gasped, rushing to her side and helping her straighten. "I didn't even see you, honestly; I swear I wasn't trying to murder you or something, but you're so tiny-"

"Offensive," Mabel muttered under her breath, even as she plastered on a polite smile.

"-and I thought you were a kid at first, but-"

"Oh-kay," she raised her voice slightly, just enough to cut him off before he kept unintentionally insulting her. "It's fine," she continued, waving him off. "No worries-accidents happen."

He smiled sheepishly, rubbing at the back of his neck awkwardly. "Well, still. Sorry. Are you sure that you're fine?"

"Yes, really, it's all good." She just wanted to grab her toilet paper and get out of there as soon as possible.

"Oh," he relaxed, running a hand over his neatly-buzzed black hair. "Alright. Do you need any help getting to where you're going? You're like a chihuahua or something, and I'd hate for you to get crushed-"

"She will be fine," cut in a darker, smoother voice, and Mabel's grin became genuine. A hand slid protectively over her stomach, and she tangled her fingers with his, peering over her shoulder at her intimidating boyfriend as he eyed the other man with obvious disdain.

Her unintentional attacker gulped audibly. "Gotcha. Right. Okay. Sure. Uh, well, um-"

"Have a nice day," Mabel offered, taking some pity on him. Poor guy looked like he was about to pee his pants (not that she could blame him; Aleron could look quite scary to those who didn't know how sweet he really was).

Snagging onto her words like a lifeline, the man nodded almost frantically, taking quick steps backwards, and then vanishing down a different aisle.