Chapter 17

Walking to the station was actually the most stressful part of the day so far. Not many people were outside at this time of day, most eating dinner with their families, like Midoriya should've been doing. Instead, he was beating himself up about the whole thing. Of course, he'd been sloppy! It was obvious!

It was not, in fact, as obvious as Midoriya thought, but that's irrelevant.

He didn't like that far from the police station, which in retrospect, should've been something he was more cautious of. He kept reprimanding himself up about it, before eventually reaching the station.

He walked inside and got a few questioning glances from the receptionist, but it wasn't that bad.

"Uh, hi, I'd like to speak to Detective Tsukauchi," He said, hoping he didn't come off as too nervous.

"Okay, hold on," She presses a button. "Tsukauchi, some kid's here to see you," She then turns back to Midoriya. "He'll be out in a second, please wait in the lobby."

And so he sat, waiting. In all reality, he was only waiting for a minute or two, but it felt much longer, probably because he's sitting in a police station's lobby, waiting to talk to a detective that knows of his identity and could make or break his entire life. Although that might be an overstatement.

Tsukauchi walks out of the back, and his eyes dart immediately to Midoriya. "I didn't expect you to come so early, you must forgive me for taking so long. If you'd please follow me to my office, we can chat in peace there."

"Alright," he replies, wanting nothing but to get out of the main lobby, where so many people were staring.

The two went down the hall from where Tsukauchi came out of. After a minute of walking, the detective stopped in front of a door. "Right in here, please. I have to go get the team together, but it won't take long. I'll be right back."

As Izuku went inside, Tsukauchi started to run down the hall. He hadn't told any of the others that the kid had even admitted yet, much less that he'd come so soon. He ran into a room, where three of the other detectives were sitting. "He's here!"

"Who?" said the first detective.

"Who do you think! He admitted it all only ten minutes ago! I didn't expect him to come so soon!" replied Tsukauchi.

"Oh fuck, so we were right?" the second one asked.

"Yes! Are you not listening!? Get the others! He's sitting in my office right now, we don't have much time to get everything done!"

"Yes sir!" the third one said, running out of the room to find the other two detectives.

When they came back, the six started to make their way to Tsukauchi's office. When he opened the door, Midoriya was sitting there, playing on his phone.

"Tsukauchi, are you sure this is him? I don't know, I thought, you know, he'd be older."

"Me?" Midoriya looked at the detectives. "Yeah, I get that. That's what you're supposed to think."

"So, Tsukauchi, what'd you say to him to get him to cooperate with us?"

"Probably something I'll regret later."

"You seem to have a knack for that, you know," one of the detectives laughed.

"Hey, why don't you all introduce yourselves while I start filling out the paperwork?"

"Alright, fine. Hey, kid. I'm Detective Kotani. Over there, we got Detective Kobayashi, Detective Nakamura, Detective Akiyama, and Detective Satoyoshi. Say hi, you all."

A chorus of awkward 'hello's came from the group.

Midoriya looked over them. The detectives weren't anything special by any means, but seemed nice enough.

"Hey, I'm Izuku Midoriya. You probably know that already, though, huh?" He rubbed the back of his neck.

"We had that idea," Kotani said. He turned to the other detectives. "Let me do the talking, okay?" The other detectives nodded, and he turned back to Midoriya. "Sorry, I'm just making sure they won't say something they'll regret. Because they will regret something."

"Y-yeah, okay..."

"Kotani, tone it down, will you? You're scaring the kid."

"Oh, come on, Tsukauchi! He's a damn vigilante, he can't be scared of me!"

"Kotani, I swear if you aren't going to listen, you aren't going to stay here. The only reason you all are even here is because you helped me find him. I have half a mind to just kick you all out now," he said, without even looking up from his desk.

"But Tsu! Come on!"

"That's it! Out, all of you! I told you, you are not calling me that!"

Kotani and the rest of the detectives looked almost pitiful as they walked out.

"Sorry about that, Midoriya. They can be... difficult at times."

"It's fine! You didn't have to kick them out!"

"I did. Either way, we're going to be discussing some licence matters, and I'm sure you don't want to talk about that in a crowded office."

Midoriya nodded. "I suppose..."

"Okay, first thing's first, are you alright with your current name or do you want to change it when you go pro?"

"I guess I'm fine with it," he shrugged.

"We have to put a civilian name on the card, but it's courtesy to have the option of a nickname. Therefore, what do you want to be called?"

"Who would see the card, anyway?"

"Just the police. If pros try to capture you, go with it. They can't touch you, legally. You don't have to show the pros your licence, but you would have to show the police."

"Well, then, why not just use my real name, then?"

"It's just an option, if you'd want to hide your identity further, I suppose."

"That'd probably be best, I guess... I don't really have any nicknames, could I chose something on the spot?"

"I suppose..."

A moment passes before he says anything. "Alright, well, how about just Midoriya? No first name listed. Is that allowed?"

"I- Alright. That's fine."

"Also, Mr. Detective, can I ask why you seem to be hiding this all from the rest of the police?"

"Ah, I was wondering why you hadn't asked that yet! Well, you see, I... well, I think what you're doing is great. Taking care of those small crimes that are usually overlooked, someone has to do it, right?"

That sounds... extremely suspicious... "Oh... Okay..? What about those other vigilantes, like the crawler?"

"They're great too! Although I don't approve of their methods, someone has to do it, right?"

"Yeah, they're illegal heroes, after all. Walking that thin line between heroes and villains, right?"

"Right! Although they often are more on the side of vil-" He stops, as if he just realized who he's talking to.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, no. I just remembered I have something to do. I'll get your licence mailed to you when it's ready." He stands. "We'll talk later, won't we, Mr. Midoriya?"

He leaves the room with Midoriya still inside.

hey guys!! so i wrote these chapters wayyy back in april and that's actually part of the reason id been having so much writing block back then
id wanted to connect the storyline to these chapters but i didnt know how hahah,,,,,,,
BUT ITS DONE AND NOW IM VERY HAPPY HUZZAH
anyways thank u all!!!!! ilysm,,,,