a little crush || katsuki bakugou

"Hey, uh, could you maybe stop that? I need my pen."

"Huh? Oh, sorry."

The pens, pencils and papers floating in the air above their heads suddenly fell onto the table, bouncing and slipping off before anyone could catch them, clattering to the floor and briefly attracting the attention of the people around them. Jirou sighed as she bent down to pick up the pens and pencils, Yaoyorozu rising to her feet and picking the papers that had fluttered away. They exchanged a glance, simultaneously looking over at you, your eyes trained on the small group on the opposite side of the classroom, teeth gnawing at your bottom lip and hand supporting your chin.

"Are you okay?" Jirou asked, placing the stationary back in its rightful place. She frowned when no response came, eyes snapping briefly to Yaoyorozu, who's eyes were locked on your, concern brimming them. Jirou snapped her gaze back to you, lightly kicking your shin to attract your attention, and when you finally met her eyes she frowned. "Is everything alright? You've been really distracted lately and keep using your Quirk without thinking."

"I'm fine," was your only response, tearing your eyes away from her and back to the small group.

She followed your gaze, surveying the group. Kaminari, Kirishima, Sero and Bakugou. They didn't seem to be doing anything in particular, chatting among themselves, Bakugou listening in with a deep glare on his face as always. Their conversation didn't seem to be particularly thrilling either, and as Jirou turned back to you she wracked her brain. Why would you be staring at them? Did one of them do something to you? Did they say something to you? No, you never really talked to any of them. Unless, you did?

An idea hit her.

"Wait, do you have a crush on one of them?"

The items on the table rattled a little, but your expression remained blank as you looked at her. "No, why would I?"

Jirou frowned. "You keep staring over there for no reason, so I just figured."

You clicked your tongue, shaking your head. "Of course I don't. That's a ridiculous idea."

For the first time since the three of you had sat down together you seemed to engage them both, straightening up and giving them the oh-so-familiar blank face your wore, seemingly unfazed by the proposition made. Jirou looked towards Yaoyorozu, whose eyes had still not left you, a small frown no creasing the space between her brows. When no words left the Class Vice Representative's lips, Jirou tried again.

"We won't say anything if that is the case," she tried. Her eyes searched yours, and for a brief moment she thought she saw a brief flicker of emotion, what is was though was beyond her, and she dismissed it. Your stoic attitude never wavered, so it must have just been her searching for something that wasn't even there in the first place.

"It might have just been my Quirk making you hallucinate," you shot back, dropping your eyes to your almost bare notepad. "I've been letting it do what it wants to see if it gets stronger, so that must have been it."

Jirou could do nothing but nod at the plausible answer, yet she couldn't help but think it was just an excuse. She watched you silently as you swept your belongings into your bag, rising to your feet and slinging it over your shoulder. She heard Yaoyorozu ask you a question, and you give her an answer, before swiftly leaving the classroom. As she watched your form disappear into the corridor she let her eyes snap back to the small group of boys, and she made a silent decision to keep an eye on you whenever you were around them.

If anyone knew you better than yourself it would be Jirou, and Jirou had the slightest suspicion that you had been lying.

Her first opportunity to watch you had come later that day. A presentation had been announced, and Aizawa had partnered you with Kaminari. But as she watched you closely she saw no sign of your cool attitude wavering, easily talking to him, no floating stationary or signs of hallucination.

Kaminari was cleared.

Sero came next, the following morning. Jirou had just arrived into the Student Common, her eyes instantly landing on you and Sero as you sat on the couch there, talking easily to each other. Your expression remained blank, replies blunt, once more there were no signs of floating belongings. She knew she wasn't hallucinating either, and for the rest of the morning she kept her gaze focused on you. She followed the both of you to the classroom, listening into your conversation, which remained rather flat, and narrowed her eyes when the two of you parted with a wave.

Sero was cleared.

Out of the four, Jirou would have most likely assumed Kirishima to be the source of your crush. Along with Ashido, you had attended the same elementary school as Kirishima, neither a friend nor foe of him. It was clear that the two of you held a mutual respect for each other, always acknowledging each other and having friendly conversations here and there. But as Kirishima turned around in his seat to talk to you, there were no signs of floating objects, no possibility of hallucination, merely a rare smile that you reserved for only those you had known for a long time and trusted deeply.

Kirishima was cleared.

But surely it couldn't be Bakugou?

Her answer came the following day.

A standard training session, one that mimicked the first practical the class had experienced. Two Heroes, two villains, one item to retrieve. And who had you been paired with? None other than Bakugou. Fighting against Midoriya and Todoroki. They were the Villains, you were the Heroes.

You had shuffled on your feet when your team had been announced, but Jirou assumed it was merely out of anticipation for the upcoming fight. Your group was first, and she watched as you slowly made your way over to Bakugou, the two of you conversing smoothly, Bakugou's mind already fixed on the prize. She kept her eyes on you until you finally disappeared from view as she entered the viewing centre, but as soon as she saw you pop up on the screen next to Bakugou, her eyes were trained on you again.

For the first couple of minutes things went smoothly, the two of you communicating surprisingly well, with no obvious blunders in your plan, but as you reached the third floor it was time for the attack. The first sign had been you launching yourself into the corridor, barely hesitating so you could survey the situation, and Bakugou letting out a yell as ice shot towards you. He barely made it to you in time, colliding with you and knocking you out of the way before the ice could reach you, blasting a shot at it to prevent its pursuit. He didn't yell at you, and whereas your expression had flashed with shock, you kept calm as always. An apology left your mouth, and Bakugou merely grunted.

From them on you only seemed to make more mistakes. Your hallucinations seemed to be weak, unfocused, still allowing Midoriya and Todoroki to attack. When Bakugou told you to run you hesitated, long enough for the ice that Todoroki had sent your way to creep up your legs and hold you in place. All the objects you sent flying their way either hit Bakugou or completely missed their target. The situation was dire, but Jirou was satisfied.

Bakugou was the one.

"Bakugou!" the screech that left your mouth shocked everyone as the boy was flung past you, hitting the wall with an almighty boom. They began to murmur: was there fear in their voice just then?

It was evident. The expression of horror on your face, the way you sprinted over to him when the small objects you were using to smash the ice finally freed your legs, the rage in your eyes when Midoriya attempted to go for you as you helped Bakugou to his feet. The match quickly ended after that, but the murmur didn't stop until the four of you made it to the viewing room.

Bakugou's eyes remained locked onto you until he was distracted by Kaminari and Kirishima talking at him, yours locked to the ground as you kept your head ducked, a faint blush on your cheeks as you scuttled over to Jirou and Yayorozu.

A smirk slipped onto her lips.

"I knew it."

"Shut up."