Prompt 23 || Word Prompt

Hi everyone and welcome to our newest prompt! This week we'll be featuring a word prompt

Hi everyone and welcome to our newest prompt! This week we'll be featuring a word prompt. Please note that you do not need to include the text/wording of the prompt in your entry, but are free to do so if you choose. You are allowed to interpret the prompt however you want, be it as literal or as figurative as you like, provided that there is a clear link between your entry and the prompt provided. For more details, check out the rules below!

WORD PROMPT:

WINNERS:

Please note that winners are not listed in any specific order. You can read the rest of the wonderful entries in the comments section below!

***

WINNER 1: JustAnotherGirlmcg

There were few things that Jess actually succeeded at; that proved that she could exist beyond the state of idiocracy and late night binges of makeup tutorials. That proved she was at least a step past moron, a functioning moron, if not more.

The list consisted of crosswords, left-handed ping pong, and Scrabble. Especially Scrabble. She hadn't lost a game in as long as she could remember, save for her drunken attempt to invent her own word last spring break. It was her go-to party trick, her claim to fame. Her one golden sticker that gave her an edge to those who saw her grades and enthusiastically made the connection between dumb and blonde.

So when Bryce Hemmings marched in from out of state, transferring to save money and open more opportunities and steal her title as Scrabble champion? Jess fought.

(And won).

***

WINNER 2: LauraAGriffiths

Is it the way I am explaining it? Or, the being I am explaining it to? Liam bumbles his way through a myriad of ingredients before he finds what I am looking for. Today he is different. Clean-shaven, hair combed, shirt pressed and tucked. I almost did not recognize him.

"Thanks." I smile accepting the parcel from the red-cheeked man.

"You're welcome." He returns the smile. "Here I'll get the door for you."

Very odd indeed. I adjust the bags equally distributing their weight on each arm and head towards the door. Liam cuts me off, quickly swiping his hand over the sensor and stepping out of my way. A brusquer person at this point would ask him what is up, but that is not me. I nod in thanks.

A few steps down the walk I hear him shout my name. Did I forget something? I quickly check my bags contents. No? I turn to face him. He stands there, not saying a word. I swift my gaze to his hands searching for the missing item but find none. Just fingers that flex uneasily.

"Yes?" I say after a few unbearable seconds of silence.

"Izzy." My interest deepens as my name lingers on his lips.

"Yes?" I repeat waiting for some sign of intelligent life.

"I, well, I just thought, maybe."

"Spit it out man I haven't got all day."

"Would you like to get a drink?" He stumbles over his words. "With me, obviously, later? That is, tonight?"

"Sure."

I hold back a laugh that begs to escape. I would not want him to take it the wrong way. Which he could, seeing the state he is in. What an adorable nerd. I choose to smile instead.

"Great!" He says so enthusiastically I can picture him jumping into the air. "Then I guess I'll pick you up after dinner?"

"You guess?" I tease.

"You know what I mean." He states, having regained some of his usual confidence.

"It's a date." I confirm with a smile.

***

WINNER 3: sacredlilac

I'm determined to do this myself and not call for help. Whenever something goes wrong at home, or I need anything fixed or hung up, I call my dad or my brother. They always help me out. 

I'm 32 now, though. It's about time I learn to do for myself.

I know which is the business end of a hammer. Thank God since I've got one in my hand to hang a soap dish in my new apartment.

Whack! Whack! Crash!

My new next door neighbor looks over his very naked shoulder at me from under the spray of the shower stall I've just made into a double.

"Celine, you are a functional moron at best," I mutter.

I give his sexy, darkening face a big smile. "Hi, I'm your new neighbor. Uh, I didn't mean to barge in like this. I was just trying to hang..." I hold up the soap dish.

He frowns, then rips down his shower curtain and wraps it around himself. He turns all that naked glory my way and looks over the damage.

He levels an angry stare at me. "I expect you don't know how to fix this?"

I hide the hammer behind my back and step towards the door. "I'll just make some calls."

The last thing I see is him shaking his head and saying, "Functional moron is right."

Ouch! Way to make an impression.