Chapter 49 - The Corporate Machine

PAUL WAS sitting in the office of John Talley with Henry Daven patched into the meeting through speakerphone from the Berlin offices of Strom News and Media.

"Gentlemen," Talley said, "I have a firm deadline at 10:00 when three German generals will meet with British generals over at Whitehall and I am to present some of our test results. I will need to attend this if we plan to keep on doing business with them."

"Then let's get on with this," Daven said forcefully over the speakerphone. "Tell us, why isn't it possible to shut down parts of the company or shut out new employees for a few days until we have the situation under control?"

"A week of shutdown will cost us millions and millions of late-violation fees with various military organizations or primary contractors to whom we deliver components. Not to mention the lost of trust and goodwill when we have to explain what happened, followed by endless re-audits to check why our security mechanisms failed. Then there will be the loss of business deals that we don't have yet, where any suspicion of security holes will cost us the contract." The Managing Director had compelling arguments, even Paul had to admit.

"Paul, can you make the threat more specific?" Daven asked over the phone.

"No, Sir, I cannot. We do not know who is behind it. We do not know what is targeted specifically. I can only tell you that your Chief Engineer Mr. Kendall is involved, either as a willing accomplice or as a victim or both." Paul felt helpless. Things had looked so clear last night, but now, talking to the two persons in power, the spy game was trumped by the realities of running a big company. Both Daven and Talley were aware of the security risks, but still weighed benefits and costs to keep the company in business.

Paul's mobile phone vibrated, and he glanced at the screen. A message from Richards: "Mr. Kendall is raiding the candy store right now! A project called 'Albatross.' Call Amy."

"Sir, Mr. Kendall is currently accessing a project called 'Albatross.' Which one is that?" Paul asked.

Talley looked alarmed. "That is the next version of the US Army drone control console. We just concluded the acceptance tests last night."

"And why is this particular technology of interest to anyone?" Daven asked.

"A big tactical advantage of our drone technology is that the drone itself is nothing more than an expensive remote control plane. Without the control console, it is completely useless to anyone, and the console usually is kept in military installations on US soil under tight wraps. So a drone that crashes behind enemy lines is of no use to anyone. All the great software and secret stuff is still back in the US." Talley rubbed his nose. "But with stolen plans for the console, you could simply copy the whole system easily and, in the worst case, take over our own drones. A catastrophe!"

"Why would Mr. Kendall do that?"

"I haven't got the faintest idea, but how do you know that he is stealing it? He is one of few people who are authorized to access the material. Maybe he is just checking last night's test results. Like I told you before, he is in Brazil on important business. We have the unique chance to enter the market there—"

"I suddenly find this very convenient," Paul interrupted. "Our chief suspect for the hundred million dollar theft and the theft of intellectual property is in a country where we have not extradition treaty?"

"Paul," Daven said, "we understand your point, but John and I will consider the options among ourselves. Can you confirm again: the hundred million dollar breach has been discovered and prevented. The money is still ours?"

"Yes, Sir. Thanks to Amy Norwood. She discovered that the bad guys had been rerouting the money intended for profit tax prepayments. She was able to modify the rerouting, so we are good."

"Okay, then let's just deal with the espionage attack. John, let's consider the options."

"But, Sir—" Paul started, but Daven cut him off.

"Thank you, Paul. Could you give us a minute of privacy?"

Paul swallowed his frustration and anger. "Sure. I'll check what is behind this Albatross thing." It took Paul some effort not to slam Talley's office door.

Outside of Talley's office, Paul found his way over to the coffee corner and returned Amy's call. She answered on the first ring. "Talk to me, Amy."

"Oh, Paul! We have all been looking for you."

"Amy, let me tell you my theory. Feel free to improvise on it."

"Everyone is looking for you. I am hunting down this Kendall-guy, and he is in the building. I think."

Paul stayed calm. "Amy, listen to me. Forget about all of that. My theory goes like this: Kendall is dead. The same guy who killed Brady killed him. The trip to Brazil was just a great ruse, maybe originally planned as the getaway for the money bait. He might not have even been on the plane to Brazil but killed earlier. You are not facing Kendall. You are facing someone else who is impersonating him."

"But he has all the right credentials."

"Not everyone is as nice and gentle as you are, Amy. The bad guy probably tortured Kendall for the passwords."

Amy sucked in her breath. "Aw, yuckidiyuck. Trouble, I have seen your face, and it is too much, too much for me."

"Tell Lieutenant Richards when you have located the guy. She will coordinate the rest," Paul said. Angrily, he snapped his phone shut. He and his team had found the money, and Amy had saved it. It was just a matter of time until they would find the responsible hacker. The rest was simply too depressing and smothered in company politics. Richards and Jenkins were the real spy-catchers. And Daven and Talley were the Corporate hotshots to decide how to proceed

Let them do their jobs, Trouble.

The copy process was over. A quick look onto the memory stick verified that indeed everything had been copied. Job done. The Asian Man was a cool customer, but his heart gave a little jump.

Now for the getaway. He logged the late Mr. Kendall out of the system.

Amy raised her hands and shouted, "Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker! That was your mistake!"

Jenkins and Richards came around the corner again, this time with their hands merely hovering over their holstered guns. Amy looked up. "Sorry, guys, heat of the moment! Lieutenant, you need to hurry over to Strom Defense. The bad guy is going to leave any second now."

Richards stopped in her tracks. "He is over there right now? What about Paul?"

Amy looked up from her keyboard for a second. "He gave me the impression that it was you guys who are now responsible."

"That fucking Trouble!" Richards muttered and ran out of the office, shouting over her shoulder, "Jenkins, you have the object!"

Amy didn't hear her; she was already in the same virtual room as the bad guy.

The Asian Man let his own computer run, pocketed the USB drive, and casually got up. "Ray, you want anything from the lunch shop downstairs? I think I'll have a sandwich today."

His colleague looked over the cubicle divider, considering. "Good idea, mate! Could you get me a roast beef on rye? And a peach iced tea?"

The Asian Man smiled. "Some chips, too?"

"You know me too well, man. Sure. Need money now?"

"Nah, don't bother. You can buy me a pint tonight at the pub." The Asian Man got his wallet from his jacket but left the jacket hanging over his chair as he went to the elevator. As casual as it could get.