OUT OF THE GATE

Sixteen-year-old Alexandra Anderson zipped her racing silks, tucking the tails into her bright white breeches. "Bring it."

Her long-time friend and trainer, Brooke Merrsal, grinned and went to grab Alex's tack to weigh in.

Alex gave herself a once over in the mirror, making sure she looked presentable for her official, licensed debut ride.

Brooke passed her the tiny saddle. "I gotta ask. Why red? It matches and all, but..."

Alex ran her finger lightly along her racing saddle, letting the dark storm inside her rise. She'd been through so much, had fought so hard to get here. She locked eyes with Brooke. "So they know the devil's riding. So they know she's coming for them."

Brooke nodded in approval and clapped Alex on the shoulder. "Give 'em hell."

Alex watched her go, wishing the tremble in her fingertips would follow Brooke out the door. Alex knew she was ready, at last. But the butterflies still got to her. She swallowed, took a deep breath, and grabbed her helmet and whip. This was it.

She headed to the scales to weigh in, ignoring any remarks whispered by other jockeys— men who dominated the sport. There was always at least one remark about how slight she was as the clerk of scales assigned her more weight. The assistant on hand stepped aside to grab a weighted rubber pad, shaped like Alex's saddle, and added it to the bundle in her arms.

Even with the added weight, she still had an advantage. That didn't always make other jockeys too happy, but every apprentice started with it.

The clerk waved her off once the digital numbers from the scale settled. Alex smiled in relief as she headed out, passing her kit to the valet who ran it ahead to Brooke.

Alex braced her arm over her head as the sunlight hit her square on. It was a beautiful, clear spring day at Keeneland Racetrack in Lexington, Kentucky. Birds chirped nearby, and sprays of flower buds adorned the landscaping.

A sleek black filly gazed into the walking ring from the saddling stall where Brooke readied her. She trembled with the sensory knowledge she was gaining by the second. People glanced at her, then down at their racing forms, deciding whether or not her unconventional breeding was worth their wager.

Alex stepped up to her, smoothing her forelock beneath her bridled browband. "Hey, Venus girl."

Brooke tightened the girth and Venus Nights skirted to the side. Brooke grimaced and finished securing the saddle. "You're alright, sis."

Alex patted the filly on the neck. "It's going to be great." She swallowed, knowing she was trying to convince herself as well as anyone else.

Brooke took the reins near the filly's head and looked her square in the eye. "They won't know what hit 'em," she said convincingly, glancing over her shoulder with a wry smile.

She turned back to Alex. "Don't worry about finishing on or off the board. Let's give her a clean run and a good experience."

Alex folded her arm, her whip tucked neatly beneath her elbow. She tapped it on her hip. "Are you talking to me or the horse?"

Brooke's nose wrinkled. "Might as well be the both of you."

The ring steward called, "Rider's up!" And the girls exchanged glances.

Brooke moved to Venus Nights' side, giving Alex a boost into the irons. She led them out into the walking ring.

Alex busied herself with arranging a small patch of mane close to the reins. Venus shined like black opal in the sun. A chill shiver raced own Alex's spine. The air was crisp, and they were ready.

Alex blew out a breath when they were handed over to the outrider and his pony. Venus followed suit, exhaling hard before breaking into a quick trot.

Alex rose in the stirrups, balancing over her withers, paying attention to the way the filly moved. She felt smooth today, or as smooth as a green two-year-old can be.

The grandstand wasn't terribly busy as they passed on the way to the gate. Her two best friends, Carol Daves and Dejado Augustun, waved excitedly and called to her from from the rail. Alex tuned into the sound of the horses breathing almost in unison, and the clop of hooves on dirt.

The starting gate loomed, with only a few other horses circling behind it.

Venus Nights and Alex waited to be loaded in the middle gate, sandwiched between three other horses on either side. She tried not to think of what it took to get here, to this moment. Of the night she helped birth Venus into the world, or any of the hard moments in her own life.

They filed in. The back door slammed behind them. All Alex thought of now was the twist of leather against skin, hands tightening, preparing to go. Hooves digging and pawing. A bang and rattle a few stalls down. Then quiet.

She wove her fingers into mane listening to the tense stillness settling, like the quiet before a storm; hearts already thundering. Preparing for the chaos. The glory. And wham, here we go!