Ch. 17: Take Two

Ch. 17: Take Two!

Kelsey POV

I couldn’t help but feel a little bit of pride when Cam didn’t want to stay over at Zach’s. I know that’s not fair of me, but it just means he’s used to me and that I won’t be replaced by anyone else. Not that I thought I would be, but you never know with kids, sometimes. I threw on some jeans and a t-shirt before heading over there, seeing as how I was only in boxer shorts and a tank top. No need to wear that over there; especially if Christy was still up. She’d kill me for looking like that in front of Zach.

I pulled up into the driveway and just sat shell shocked at this gorgeous house I was at. It was huge! With a wraparound porch on the top and bottom floor. The landscaping was out of this world and just set off the house and made it look that much better. I was totally jealous of this whole thing and almost wished I never had to come get Cammie. This was pretty much my dream house. Not to mention all the land he has. Sure, I have a huge yard and a nice little farm house, but this house; just wow.

There was a knock on the window, snapping me from my daze of admiration. I looked out to see an eager little boy bouncing on his toes. Poor kid, it looks like he’s been bawling his eyes out. My heart sunk at the look on his face. As soon as I opened up the door, I had enough time to step out of my car before I was jumped on by my kid. “Mommy!! I thought you would never get here!”

I rubbed his back and held him the best I could. There wasn’t much time to be prepared for him to jump up into my arms, so he was in an awkward position at the moment. “Of course I’d get here, baby.”

“I’m not a baby, remember?” He pulled back and gave me a frown.

“Oh right, I’m sorry, big boy. But you know, you will always be my baby no matter how big or old you get, right?” I told him. He would always be my baby boy.

He rolled his eyes. When did he learn that? I guess he’s been watching me around Brandon too long. That’s not a good thing. “Fine.”

Zach came walking up to us, not looking the happiest at the moment. “Hey Kelsey, sorry about all this.”

“It’s not a problem. I don’t mind one bit.” I said and then watched as he tried not to let me see his disappointment. “That’s not exactly what I meant, Zachary, and you know it.” I narrowed my eyes at him. He needs to understand that Cameron is still getting used to him. He doesn’t even ever make it the whole night through at his friends’ houses. There are very few places that he actually will stay over.

“I know.” He said. “Listen, little man.” Zach said and waited until Cam looked at him. “I would love it if you stayed the whole night one day. We had so much planned for tomorrow. You sure you don’t want to stay over?”

Cam looked between the two of us. “That’s okay. I want to go home with my momma.” He hugged me closer, almost like he thought I was going to make him stay.

I tugged at his arms a little to get some air to my lungs, but he only tightened them again. I chuckled, “Cam, sweety, I’m not going to make you stay, but you have to loosen that grip of yours so mommy can breathe.”

His arms loosened and he gave me a toothy grin. “Sorry mommy.”

“It’s okay.” I smiled, “Tell daddy goodnight.” I told him and then whispered, “Go give him a big hug and kiss and then we’ll go, okay?”

He nodded and I sat him down on the ground so he could run over and do that. Zach looked surprised at first but then gave Cameron his own squeeze and kissed him on the head. “Night buddy. See you later.”