arrival

• Fíriel's point of view •

We were slowly treading through the high grasses, my horse, Fwalda, was getting jumpy and excited, he knew these fields well. I laugh and let him have his head, and he takes advantage of this immediately, taking off at a swift canter, away from the traveling party and to Home.

I feel the wind rush though my hair and just relax atop of Fwalda, it's been a rather weary journey, with the recent orc raids around us, but we are home and I was glad.

As we reach the crest of the hill, we pause and I look at Edoras from afar, it's large hall on top of the hill, and it's ramshackle little wooden houses and barns spread around it. Minas Tirith doesn't have this homely feel there, even most of the farmhouses on Pelenor fields are just made of stone. The evening sun making Edoras' shadow long, and the grasses are given a reddish hue.

Looking back at my party, I see they are too far behind to hear me if I shout, so I decided not to wait for them. I urge Fwalda towards Edoras again.

I arrive around sunset, the guards are starting to lock up for the day, they recognize me and let me through without a word.

The sun is down by the time I get to the stables, I take care of Fwalda when I hear quiet footsteps behind me.

"Théodred, I hear you." I spoke without turning around, pretending to be busy rubbing Fwalda's coat by the light of the one lantern hung by the doorway of the little stall. I hear a little upset huff behind me, then I stated, turning around, "You are much too heavy to be sneaking around like that to not be caught, my friend."

He smiled shook his head a little and replied, "Welcome back, Fíriel, I have missed you these past months." He held his arms out and I stepped into them, "I have missed you as well." I stated simply smelling his distinctive smell that I could never put my finger on.

"How was Gondor?" He asked, releasing me.

I pause and look up to him seriously, "The sky is already darker there, Théodred, something terrible is about to happen, from the East, from the the land of shadow." I finally state my fears after long months of containment, "Also, lord Denethor, he has lost all hope it seems, his sons do not understand what has happened to him..." I pause, looking up to see if Théodred was still listening, "but the people, Théodred," I hear my voice get more excited as I speak. "the people there, they are recalling a prophecy:

'Seek for the sword that was broken:

In imladris it dwells;

There shall be counsels taken

Stronger than Morgul-spells.

There shall be a token

That Doom is near at hand,

For Isildur's Bane shall waken,

And the halfling forth shall stand.'

We don't quite understand this though, but Denethor is sending someone, his son I think, to Imladris. I hope he can understand what will be happening there. But the people, at least have a thread of hope, confusing as it is." I finally finish my update on Gondor. Théodred stood quiet for a moment then helped me with Fwalda and we leave the stables and walk under the stars in the night.

"If things are beginning to be dark over there, it will reach us soon," He stated quietly as we walked together to the Golden Hall, then he added grimly "We must prepare for war."

"Your father isn't fit for war, he is barely fit to be king anymore, Théodred." I state softly, "Wormtongue, he is the reason for his state, I know it. I know not how, but he is." I added, I wasn't wrong to blame almost everything on that Snake.

"Possibly, Fíriel. I know my father has become too weak for his position." His walking slowed and he sighed, "I don't know what to do though." He admitted. I turn to look up at him, I almost thought of something comforting to say, but I quickly shut my mouth. I haven't an idea how help either. What would one do against a seemingly possessed man influencing another? Rohan is weak. The race of Men are weak.

We come to the wooden doorway to Medusled, golden light spilled out into the night from it. "Well," I said outside the building, "I must talk to the king about this tomorrow, I would rather sleep before I want to mess with them."

"You mean Wormtongue mostly?"

I nodded.

"Goodnight." He bid me, patting me on the back and entering the gold light though the doorway.

I walk to the little cottage that I share with Éowyn, just as I entered and spotted my bed, I then realized that my travel party still had my luggage. I sigh, I wanted to just fall on my comfy looking bed and pass out. I leave the cottage again to search for my things.

As I was searching, I look up to the stars above me, bright and deep, it makes me feel small and powerless against whomever created such beautiful, far away things. I think in Minas Tirith, I couldn't see the stars over in the East, over the land of the Shadow, I feel better over here now, the sky was clearer, the air was lighter, better.

I see why the Elves have been going to the West. They simply felt better over there, but that doesn't stop the Darkness from coming their way still, unless they know more than me. This Darkness seems too powerful to be ignored for much longer.

That made me think of Imladris, the prophecy stated a counsel would be held there. Even though I've lived in the Ettenmoors, Dunland, most of my life, I've never been to Imladris. My brothers have though..

My thoughts are interrupted by a figure running to me in the dark, it's Éowyn, "Fíriel! I missed you so!" She said as she collided with me, we embrace and I reply, "I have too, Éowyn. How are things here?"

"About the same, I'm afraid, though Wormtongue has been looking at me more," she shuddered, "I'm so glad I have someone to face him with again." She adds, Gríma Wormtongue hates me, both because and why I try to protect my friend from him as much as I can.

I find where my things were left. Éowyn and I head to our cabin, unpack everything, then I collapse on my bed.

Hello readers! I know that I said I'd post Tuesday but I'm posting earlier bc I have nothing else to do that's worthwhile and I was like 'why the heck not'.

So yep if you enjoyed this chapter, please do hit the star button..Thanks!