eight

"Lou!"

"Yes, pet?"

Harry glided over to him, almost crashing into him but somehow managing to stop his momentum before then. His cheeks were rosy from the cold and the exertion. He clung to Louis' shoulder for stability as they both wobbled on their ice skates. It wouldn't be the first time tonight they fell down in a heap.

Harry was busy squeezing Louis in a bone-crushing hug even though he clearly had something to say, otherwise he wouldn't crossed the entire skating rink just to see him. Unless all he wanted was a hug, in which case, Louis wrapped his arms around him too, patting his back.

"What is it, H?"

For the most part, Louis was sober, since he was the one in charge of tonight and he had to make sure they got home safely. But he had offered Harry enough wine throughout the night to get him pleasantly tipsy, to the point where he was loose and relaxed, and, apparently, cuddly.

It was funny because instead of making him clumsy, the slight inebriation actually made him a better ice skater. He had zipped around the rink almost immediately upon arrival, leaving Louis to stare after him in shock. He had been expecting Bambi's first steps but what he got was a professional figure skater, complete with spins and everything. Kind of. It was more of the bravado of intoxication that gave him the confidence he needed to skate normally.

"'M just really lucky to have you," Harry mumbled after a while of them just standing there, off to the side of the rink, as the rest of the world kept on moving and doing whatever else it did when they weren't paying it any attention. There was a lot of couples skating tonight, given that it was Valentine's Day. The general mood was cheerful and excited. Warm, despite the cold.

"Why's that?" Maybe he was phishing for compliments, but whatever.

"You're so much fun. I had so much fun with you today. Even though all my plans were shit, yours made up for it."

Louis huffed a laugh because it was easier to make a joke of Harry's words than to take them seriously. They were still holding each other because if they let go, they would lose their balance.

"Seriously, Lou. Like... If I was with him, we would've sat through that entire play, and I just- I dunno. You're so much more fun. I've never had a day like this before."

Every day could be like this, Louis thought but didn't say. If we were together, every day could be like this.

"Hey, it's not over yet, we still have things to do."

"Really?" Harry perked up, looking hopeful.

It was almost 9:30 PM and they had already done a handful of childish but fun activities. They started at the arcade, buying a bunch of tokens and playing any game they found interesting. Harry was so bad at most of them and it was hilarious.

After that, they went to a board game cafe and ate a second meal while playing Cards Against Humanity with two couples on a double date who invited them into their group without a second thought.

It wasn't until one of them bid them a "fun evening" with a suggestive wink when they were leaving that Louis realized they thought he and Harry were together. Which was the obvious conclusion, since it was just the two of them out on Valentine's Day. And to be even more fair, Louis knew he sometimes looked over at Harry with the most obvious heart eyes. He couldn't really blame them for assuming, but it made him blush regardless.

The second meal was because the first, at the fancy restaurant, was not enough to satisfy either of them. Harry had been sheepish when he asked if they could get more food but Louis just grabbed his hand and pulled him to the board game cafe like it had been his plan all along.