Chapter 44 - Marvelous Halloween

CHAPTER 44

CAT

Cat couldn't get over how cute Luke looked in his Captain America Halloween costume. She was currently kneeling on the ground in the living room, taking photos of him on her phone.

"Now some family ones," she instructed, glancing over her shoulder toward Nick, who was also looking pretty cute. Continuing with the Marvel superheroes theme, he was dressed in a red Daredevil costume. Cat sent a picture of him to some of their friends on Snapchat earlier and they all found it hilarious. "Come here."

Nick picked up Luke in one arm and looped his other around Cat's middle. She switched the camera onto selfie mode and stretched her arm out to get everyone in frame.

"Just crouch a little bit, your horns are being cut off," Cat said.

She was dressed as Black Widow, which was probably not the most creative, but at least it was easy enough to find it on Amazon for pretty cheap. She already had hair that looked relatively similar to the actress in the Marvel movies, so she didn't need a wig, just a hair straightener and some styling mousse.

By the time they finished taking photos Luke was about ready to book it. He was so excited to go trick or treating with Adam and Grace, it was impossible to keep him still while they waited for Erin and Grant to come over and pick them up.

"Your mom is still coming?" Nick asked.

Cat looked up at him, but his expression was hidden by the mask that covered almost the entirety of his face. "Yeah, she's going to meet us there," she replied.

Asking her mother to join them tonight was more strategic than anything else. Cat figured they'd be busy enough watching the kids, so it'd leave very little time for conversation. They wouldn't be gone for too long either, which meant there might not be enough time to bring up sensitive topics, like her engagement to Nick for example.

A few minutes later, Nick got a text from Erin letting them know she was parked downstairs.

"You ready, Freddy?" Cat smiled at her son.

"I'm ready!" he replied excitedly.

They packed Luke's stroller in the back of Erin's SUV and installed his car seat. With three kids and four adults, there wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room but they made it work. They were going to a kid-friendly festival in Lincoln Park. Nobody in their group had ever gone before, so they weren't too sure what to expect, but according to the website there'd be music, activities and a whole lot of candy.

The parking lot by the venue was all filled up so they actually had to park about a block away. Cat put some money in the parking meter while Nick tried to convince Luke that riding in the stroller would be a great idea.

Cat's mother wasn't too difficult to find in the crowd. She was waiting for them right by the entrance. It was even easier to spot her since she was one of the few people not wearing a costume.

"Hi mom," Cat smiled a little awkwardly. She was holding Luke's candy basket (which was made to look a little like Captain America's shield) so it gave her an excuse not to go for a hug. "You found the place alright?" she asked.

"Yes, it was no trouble at all," she nodded and crouched down to Luke's level. "And who are you supposed to be dressed up as?" she asked pleasantly.

"I'm Captain America!" Luke beamed proudly.

"That's very nice," Alicia smiled back.

"It's his favorite superhero right now," Cat explained.