Chapter 13

Harry woke as the first light of dawn crept through his shutters. He rolled over and closed his eyes again, hoping to fall back asleep. Several minutes later he admitted to himself that it wasn't happening, and with a sigh rose to see about starting breakfast.

It was still dark in the house, as no one else seemed to be up, and he crept down the stairs as quietly as he could. Just because he couldn't go back to sleep didn't mean everyone else had to wake up early. He'd just get pancakes started. It would be a nice surprise for Narcissa, to have everything ready when she awoke.

He slipped into the kitchen and waved his hand, lighting the lamps. He'd grown used to using wandless magic in the past year, as he rarely remembered to grab his wand in the mornings. As he turned toward the stove, he stopped short. There was a figure slumped against the wall in the corner. He started forward, at first thinking it was Kreacher and that he'd succumbed to some illness, but then the figure's height registered. As he took in the disastrously curled blond hair he whispered, "Malfoy?"

Malfoy jerked awake. "What?" he said, fumbling at his side, presumably for his wand. Harry stared at him.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

Malfoy squinted at him, horror dawning on his features. "I—"

"Because it looks an awfully lot like you fell asleep against the kitchen wall. Were you up all night? What in Merlin's name were you doing down here?"

"I—" Malfoy started again.

Harry interrupted him, pushing past him into what he'd assumed was a storage room. "Is that a Potions kit? What have you been up to hiding out in here at night, Malfoy?" Suspicion crept into him with every word that he spoke. All his instincts told him that Malfoy was up to something.

Then he caught sight of the book on the floor and picked it up, surprised. "Hang on. This is the book for sixth-year Potions. And is that the Elixir to Induce Euphoria?" He leaned over the cauldron, sniffing cautiously, then made a face. "It is. I remember this potion. You've mucked it up, though. It's not supposed to look like that... Or smell like that," he added, wrinkling his nose.

"It's nothing," Malfoy said, finally finding his voice. "I was about to get rid of everything, anyway."

Harry frowned. "Why would you do that? There's nothing wrong with having a potions kit, Malfoy. Well, the Ministry might not agree with me, but you have to do something with your time. And you've got to take your N.E.W.T.s," he added with a grimace. He wasn't looking forward to that.

Malfoy shrugged. "I've decided not to bother," he said, with what Harry thought was supposed to be nonchalance, but rather missed the mark.

"Wait a minute," Harry said slowly. "I remember this potion. I also remember something the Prince said—"

"The Prince?" Malfoy asked, confusion colouring his tone.

Harry shrugged the question off. "Later," he said, "that's not important. But what did he say?" He flipped the book open, flicking through the pages until he came to the potion in question. "Aha. You didn't chop the Sopophorous beans precisely enough." He frowned, glancing at Malfoy. "Well that's not like you at all."

Malfoy grimaced. "I can't. It's why I was getting rid of it."

"Can't what?" Harry asked, still puzzled.

"Can't chop precisely enough. My hands shake." Malfoy looked away, red splotches on his cheeks. "Nerve damage. I won't be able to complete my N.E.W.T.s," he said, bitterness creeping into his voice. "So go ahead and gloat."

Harry frowned. "I wasn't going to gloat. I was going to help. The Prince said powdering them instead would make up for not chopping precisely enough."