Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Chapter 2

"Look who's finally graced us with her presence after all this time." Matt scoffs, his lips curling in disdain.

"I'm just here for Gran's birthday." I turn to Vivian, who is looking at us with curiosity and amusement. "So, Vivian, how have you been?" I ask, willing my heart to stop beating so fast. I knew Matt and I would cross paths eventually. It's not like anyone can hide around these parts. I was just not expecting him to get under my skin so easily.

"Can't complain," Vivian says, pulling me away from my thoughts. "I left my job after I got pregnant again and Milo got a promotion at the factory. We're ready for this little one to be born and have our family finally complete..." She rubs her belly, making me wonder if it's all that has happened to her.

Being a mom, a wife... Is that ever enough for a woman? Then, I take a good look at her, and she's... glowing? Is she really that happy? I study her shining eyes and serene smile.

Giving Matt a quick glance, his presence too strong to be ignored, I wonder if I'd be like Vivian if I hadn't applied to college to go after my dreams.

"When is it due?" I ask, trying to focus on her.

"She'll be here in three months." She smiles and then sighs when one toddler cries. "Sorry, I need to go. But it was nice seeing you, Jen." She gives me a slight once over, her eyes lingering on my red heels for a little too long.

"You too!" I smile back. "But hey, my car is broken down the road. Do you know where I could get someone to help me?"

"I'll drive you to Lola's place," Matt says, his eyes narrowing. "The shop is closed for the day, but I'm sure Sam can look at your car tomorrow."

"Sam as in Samuel Hayes?" I feel my eyes widen in surprise.

"The one and only," Matt says.

"Wow, he was just a kid when I left. Is he really working at his father's shop?" I shake my head, then murmur to myself, "he was such a brilliant kid."

"He went to school to become a mechanic and came back a couple of years ago to take over things after his father's death." Matt's eyes get impossibly hard and I need to swallow down before speaking.

"That's not what I meant." I give him a glare of my own. Gran had told me about Peter's death when it happened, but it's like being here makes it finally real.

"Of course, city girl," Matt says, a mocking smile on his lips.

"Uh, I could give you a ride..." Vivian offers, looking a little at a loss.

"You got your hands full, Viv. I'll deal with her." He gives her a warm smile, and I want to slap it off his face.

Nobody is dealing with me.

"Oh well, okay then," she says, already moving to leave. "Don't be a stranger, Jen." She waves me goodbye.

"Come on." Matt walks to the door as if expecting me to follow him.

As freaking if!

Walking to the teenager behind the counter to see if I can borrow her phone, I can feel the weight of Matt's glare on my back. His frustration becomes instantly evident as soon as I make it clear that I'm not accepting his offer.

"Really, Jen?" I hear him say.

"It's all good." I wave him off.

"Jen..."

"I'll call Gran and ask her to pick me up," I smile at the girl behind the counter. "Hi, could you please-?"

"Will you really make her drive all the way here after all she's been through?" He scoffs, and I turn to him so fast that I get a little dizzy.