Chapter 10

I groan loudly. I'm lying on my bed with the upper half of my body hanging off the side and the lower half on the actual bed. It's how I like to lie when I'm bored. It gives me a real rush. A knock sounds at my door and I slip of the side, hitting my head on the floor and feeling the weight of my body falling on a bad angle on my neck. The door opens and Masky stops himself. I roll backwards and sit up, flustered.

"Uh, is it a bad time?" He says

"No, no. I'm fine. Just fell over." I giggle.

"Well, you might wanna clean yourself off. We're going on a trip."

"Outside!" I stand up.

"No, to the fucking basement. What do you think?" He puts his hand on the handle. "Meet me downstairs in five." He slams the door behind him. I look around in a nervous panic and grab my hoodie off the end of the bed. Finally! I open my door and run downstairs excitedly. I jump off the third last step like I usually do and meet Masky and Slender at the door.

"Child, I will allow you to go outside today for only a few hours because of...complaints. Masky will take you to the edge of the woods and bring you straight back. Do you understand?"

"Yeah. Thank you so much." I say.

"Now, hurry along, you don't have all day." He opens the door and Masky leads me outside. I run down the stairs of the front porch and breath in the fresh air.

"Oh how I missed air." I sigh.

"Yeah, don't get used to it." He mumbles. We walk into the trees and the surroundings grow darker. I look up at Masky and notice some blood on the side of his mask and on his jacket collar.

"What happened?" I ask.

"What do you mean?"

"You've got blood on your jacket and mask." I point out.

"So what, Ben has blood coming from his eyes 24/7." He spits. "What's a stain on the jacket?"

"I don't know, you don't usually... I don't know. Forget it, it's fine."

"No, what is it. Tell me what you're thinking of."

"Don't you have other things to do than take me on a walk?"

"Don't change the subject. Also, no I don't. I've got the next two days off because of you."

"Great." I say sarcastically. "Also, two days? Aren't you taking me out for a few hours?"

He chuckles, "wouldn't you rather explore the town at night from the rooftops instead of at day from the edge of the woods!" He says proudly.

"But... I thought you hated me?"

"I do. But can't we put aside our differences for two days?"

"Won't you get in trouble?"

"Oh yeah. Isn't that the fun part?" I can tell he's smiling under his mask and it makes me smile too. We walk for a while without talking, I tripped over a few logs like the clumsy human I am and nearly fell on my face. Masky took time to climb trees and look over the woods and find the direction which was cool to watch.

"Can I ask you something?" I say after a while.

"Mmhmm."

"What's with Hoodie?"

"Woah, woah. That's a harsh question."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. But we're alone in the middle of the woods, I can ask these things, right?"

"Fair." He shrugs. "We've been friends for years and years, got here at the same time and we'll leave at the same time."

"I see. What about him not speaking to... like, anyone."

"You know what? I don't know. He talks to me, but that's his choice I guess."

"Yeah. How long will it take to get there."

"Oh, you're one of those people." He laughs.

"No." I put my hand on my heart dramatically. "I am offended."

He laughs again. "Look, I'll show you how far we are." He looks up and stops. I stop too. He pulls down on a close branch making sure it's sturdy. He then pulls himself up and holds onto the next branch up. He holds out his hand and I take it for him to pull me up. I get to the first branch and I'm already nearly breathless.

"How many branches are there again?" Masky chuckles.

"If you hold your breath and climb it fast, you can take a breath at the top. The wonders of climbing trees." He pulls me up to the next branch and climbs two more himself. He helps me to the top of the tree and we look over the vast miles of trees around us. I let out the long breath I was holding in for most of the climb and try to look for the town. Masky taps my shoulder and points in the opposite direction.

"Oh." The town is really close. That's embarrassing.

"We'll be there in about 10 minutes if we walk fast." He says.

"Cool."

"And now for the hard part."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"The descent." I look down through the leaves of the way we just came.

"Shit."