10

Toby sat on the bed while you lazed against the wall, a plate of toast in your lap as you slowly munched on it. There was a glass of cool water too and you weren't shy about downing it either. He only watched you from where he sat, analytically almost, not that you minded. As a matter of fact, you were feeling pretty bold, meeting his gaze head on without any hesitation. It wasn't until you had finished that you cleared your throat to speak, nudging the plate away from yourself.

"Thank you," you offered.

He hummed in response.

"Something on your mind?" you tried to act casual, as if having a conversation with your kidnapper was completely normal. To be honest it was beginning to feel very normal. You smoothly stood up, walking over to him with a sway in your step. Now at his side, you paused, easing yourself onto the bed so you were shoulder to shoulder.

"Yeah..." he replied, his gaze once again boring into your own, "thinking about things I've never th-thought about."

Well, that sounded quite risqué, and so you raised an intrigued eyebrow.

"You look good in my shirt," was all he decided to say.

There really wasn't much of a shirt left to be honest, most of it was bloody and torn from all the abuse you had been put through. But considering his line of work, he was probably into that stuff. Geez, you were really overthinking this now. Maybe getting all slutty wasn't the perfect plan right now. You should balance it out a little, try and connect emotionally too. You wanted him to fall in love- not lust, after all.

"What happened to you?" you asked calmly, trying to force your voice to sound almost soothing as you placed a careful hand on his bare arm. You could practically feel the power behind those arms, the monster behind the exterior. "Why are you like this?"

"J-just unlucky..." his gaze fell to his lap, his expression unreadable.

"You don't seem all that bad to me," you continued, and for the most part it was true. "You're kind." To an extent. "You saved me." But I'm here because of you. "You protected me." But you've hurt me too, you've hurt me so much. "A man like you doesn't belong in a place like this." But you're not a man, are you? "I want to know why you're doing these things when you clearly don't want to."

His gaze remained locked on his jeans as he exhaled a soft sigh.

"I don't know w-why me," he began to explain, "Was a little odd as a kid, but lots of kids are o-odd. The boss came after me though, after my sister died, he was h-haunting me. I'd see his face everywhere, stalking me, taunting me. I don't know... j-just cracked one day, stopped fi-fighting it. Killed someone that day, started a fire, ran away. Loyal servant ever since..."

"Why don't you just leave this place?"

"I can't."

Why don't we leave together, was what you wanted to suggest. Maybe coax him into a little plan. But it was too early for that. Still, you decided to archive that idea into your mind for later use. Once you had him under your 'spell' for lack of better word, you would bring up that idea, maybe then you could finally escape the nightmare. But for the time being you needed to delve deeper, you needed to make the man feel vulnerable, you needed him to open up to you.

"Do you miss normal life?" you asked softly, ever so subtly easing your head against his shoulder.

"No, normal life was n-ne-never anything great," there was definitely a story there.

"You're so young," you said, going off of what you assumed his current age was. "You had a whole life ahead of you, it would have gotten better."

He didn't say anything and you found yourself honestly wanting to comfort him as you smoothed your hand over his shoulder in an assuring manner.