15

I could hear deep breaths mingled with my own, and I felt warmth all around me. For the first time in a very long time, I felt safe and warm. My eyes cracking open, I was a little surprised not to be in my room in Montreal, let alone my room in DC. I was staring at a nondescript beige wall.
Turning slightly, the arm that was slung comfortably around me pulled me closer, and Sweets' nose was nuzzled into the crook of my shoulder. I couldn't help but want to stop and smile at the soft snuffle of sleepy contentment he gave, but this felt all-too alien to me. It was also unprofessional on several counts.
I carefully lifted Sweets' arm off, and let his sleepy head slide off my shoulder and onto the cheap pillow. Extricating myself very stealthily, I snuck off into the bathroom to try and shock some sense into myself with the cold water in the sink.
I stared at myself in the mirror, water dripping off my nose, observing the acute point it came to that most people referred to as a 'button'. I also contemplated the prim curve of my mouth and my straight teeth thanks to the magic of orthodontics. My cheeks were round and met at a taper to form my chin, giving me a heart-shaped face. With my olive skin and brown hair, brown eyes and straight brows made me look very plain, nothing very sharp about my face at all, really. My exotic name eluded to something a little more, but I was just me. I sighed, and took fistfuls of my dark curls and patted them into a passable braid before leaving the bathroom feeling refreshed-ish. Padding sock-footed into the main room, I stuck my feet into my shoes and tossed on a wool cardigan as I took a stroll down the street to a diner.
I paid no mind to the early-to-mid-morning patrons, as I had only come for the caffeine. Watching the small tv in the corner of the ceiling as I waited for my order, I watched a pretty blonde journalist describe a recent potential murder in the Alaskan region.
Better get on that.
I sighed, paying for my drinks and muffins before leaving the quaint little diner.
The walk back was quiet and peaceful, as no cars really frequented this small town to begin with. I wondered briefly if I could live in a place like this, on my own, secluded.
I shook the thought as I found my room. Locked. No key. Shit.
I knocked quietly on the door. No answer.
Oh bother, I internally sighed.
I pounded the door harder, and waited before calling for Sweets.
He answered the door in jeans and nothing else.
Any quips about candy-grams fell dead in my mouth.
"Delissio," I squeaked.
Dumbass.
"Sorry, I was changing," he explained sheepishly, holding up a tee shirt.
I tried to ignore it, and averted my eyes from his toned torso.
"I got breakfast," I said, and sat down at the small desk, my back to him as he pulled on his shirt.
"Thanks," Sweets said, grabbing a muffin and his coffee. "you okay?"
I turned to see if he was serious.
"Totally," I answered, my face blank.
Sweets gave his messy brown hair a boyish sweep with his hand before stuffing his muffin in his mouth and beckoning me to meet me at the car when I was ready.
I changed into canvas shorts and a tee shirt before packing my things and closing the door. I found Sweets sitting behind the wheel, looking rejuvenated, and tapping his foot to some music playing on the radio.
"Are you okay?" I jested, to which he grinned.
The rest of the ride was pleasant, but at the back of my mind, something was eating at me.
"Do you have a girlfriend?" I asked suddenly.
Sweets fumbled slightly, seeming taken by surprise at my question.
"Uh," he began slowly.
"Sorry, I was just curious," I said, embarrassed at my lack of self-control.
"No, it's okay, you deserve to know about me if I know about you," he said, though his cheeriness had sort of begun to sag. "I just recently ended things with my on-again-off-again ex. We're cool, now."
"Cool."