Chapter 9: Mr. Collins

When the whole Bennet household received the news of Mr Collins coming to the house, Adele was gone for a long walk. James was walking with her when they were stopped by two horses.

"Mr Bingley, Mr Darcy," Adele courtesied and James bowed, "good to see you both. I hope you had a lovely morning so far."

"Of course," Mr Bingley smiled widely,  "and I hope, Miss Bennet, that you and Miss Jane are in best of your health."

"We are, thank you... I was just walking with James to the Oakham Mountain, would you like to join, sir?"

Bingley was about to deny, however, Darcy had not the same ideas.

"Oh yes," he said while burning with jealousy, "we would love to, thank you."

He got off the horse and handed it to the stable master. Adele stiffened and regretted offering while James smirked looking at Darcy as he understood why.

Darcy was eyeing him with as much hatred as he could muster. Mr Lucas was handsome with golden eyes and granola colour hair, that he had to admit. His smile was the one that make ladies swoon.

Adele was walking in front of the three while the gentlemen were talking. Oh, only Bingley and Lucas was talking while Darcy was staring at the lady. Unable to stop himself, he moved to her and offered his arm.

She looked at him in shock. Oh, if only she knew what her wide precious eyes does to him and her cocoa locks dancing on her countenance. She hesitantly accepted the arm and placed her hand on the crook of his arm. Her breath hitch, though gone unnoticed, because of the bundle of muscle that came in contact with her hand, though covered with layers of clothing.

Darcy watched as her breath picked up a pace. He could hear her breath and doubted if she was tired.

"Miss Bennet," he asked, "do you want to rest for a while?"

"I am fine, thanking you."

This created a new round of silent contemplation on part of her and silent admiration on his part. Her eyes caught a beautiful daisy and she admired it with a light smile on her lips. Darcy saw this and separated her hand from his arm. She was confused as he made his way towards the flower. He plucked it and went back to her.

Adele looked at the daisy and then at Darcy. He offered it to her and she smiled lightly. She took it from his hand, but not before their fingers brushed accidentally.  His breath hitched lightly, while she silently gasped at the startle she felt.

"Thank you, sir," she said and Darcy again took her arm in his. His other hand rested on hers a little more than necessary, though he had to take care of propriety for her sake.

"Well, it said, Roses die of summer winds, Daisies lie forever."

Adele looked at him and smiled, "it is. I remember James used to make daisy chains for me when we were young. I remember correctly, it is our sign of friendship."

Darcy glanced at James jealously and his arms tightened around hers ever so lightly, though possessively. Soon, it was time that they part. Darcy was reluctant though happy, for he should not be attracted by her.
__________________

"What is it, Lizzie?" Adele asked noticing the hustle bustle in the house.

"A Mr Collins is coming," Elizabeth replied and Adele was all astonishment. Elizabeth told her about the letter and the conversation that took place.

"A Lady Catherine de Burgh, you say," Elizabeth nodded while Adele's face held a frown, "I pray that none of you has the misfortune to marry this cousin of ours."
___________________