Chapter 2 - Truths & Half Truths

Four more people came into the room while Migs was talking about the “short history” of the group.

        And Migs really had a way of making it sound simple, and short.

        “So that’s it,” he concluded. “After five terms of trying to make this an official org, we’re now having our first meeting.” He smiled that little boy smile, but his intelligent eyes made him look serious and grown up.

        I knew there was more to the story Migs told. There was something he wasn’t saying. But I didn’t want to think too hard about it.

        Sir Julius nodded, then turned to Aris.

        “Well…” Aris began, smiling, “obviously, I’m here because that’s what friends do—you support each other, no matter how crazy your friend is.” Migs looked at the floor and chuckled beside him. “So when Migs had this wild idea for creating gadgets that could capture ‘ghostly activities,’ I had to sign up as his first member.

        “I’m not really sure if I believe in ghosts,” Aris continued. “Haven’t seen any myself. But Migs’ theories make sense, and I like having a fun non-school project to use up the little free time I have. It reminds me of the real reason I’m taking this hellish fcourse that’s ruining my life.”

        We laughed. Aris seemed like a really nice, easy-going guy.

        “I guess it’s my turn,” Richard began. He had a thoughtful expression on his face. One corner of his mouth was turned upwards, and his head was tilted slightly towards the ceiling. He looked like he was laughing at a secret joke, and was deciding whether or not to share it.

        “The truth is…” He faced the group now, the one-sided smile still on his face. “I’m here because this is exactly the kind of org my dad would never approve of.”

        Aris laughed out loud, Lana giggled, and Migs chuckled. Everyone else smiled, except for Chynna. She still looked bored.

        “Well, that’s very self-aware of you, Richard,” said Sir Julius. Even he was smiling. “Is there any reason you like getting that kind of reaction from your father?”

        Richard’s smile broadened. In one comical movement, he bared his upper teeth, ufsed them to bite on his lower lip, and simultaneously scrunched up his nose—he looked like a bunny monster. Then his smile went back to lopsided normal.

        “Hmm. I’m pretty sure it has to do with the fact that after college, I’m gonna be his slave for the rest of my life. So I might as well do anything I want now, right?”

        Richard ruffled the hair at his nape after he said this, then adjusted in his seat as he stretched his long legs in front of him. Chynna just kept on playing with her arrow-straight hair.

        Sir Julius nodded. “I understand.” His thoughtful expression made me believe he did understand.

        “Okay, my turn,” Lana chimed. Her voice, like her face, reminded me of pixies. She leaned slightly forward in her seat as she addressed the group. Her smile was bright and sincere. “Unlike everyone else in this ghost hunting club—”

        Migs faked a cough.

        “—I mean, paranormal research group,” Lana corrected herself, her smile growing wider, “I actually joined because I believe in ghosts. Well, more than ghosts, really. I mean, I believe in God. I also believe there’s a heaven, and a hell, and that angels and saints are real. So I’ve always thought that, if they’re all real, then evil spirits and demons and the devil must be real too. Same thing with ghosts.”