Chapter Six | Clarity

"Officer Kenner had a situation

"Officer Kenner had a situation. I told him I would take his place."

I turned my head to find Elijah Mikaelson climbing into the spot beside me, and tried to bite back a grin.

The spicy scent of his cologne enveloped me as the carnival music began to play.

"You came back."

He nodded, keeping his eyes on the bar we'd both rested our hands upon.

"My brothers and I were able to defuse the situation rather quickly, but we all agreed you should not be left alone."

I turned my head to meet his dark eyes, the sudden seriousness flickering in them giving me pause.

"Wait, why not? What's going on?" My eyebrows knit together in confusion as I studied his face.

I noticed the clenching of his jaw and the dark rings beneath his eyes. He'd returned wrapped in a black trenchcoat, which added to the dangerous vibe he was radiating, but he looked exhausted.

"We can't say for sure, but we've found evidence that shows there is more to the robbery at the market than we'd originally thought. Since you were at the store, you could potentially be easy prey."

A shudder danced down my spine at his insinuation.

"So I'm really in danger? But Officer Kenner said--"

Elijah cut me off with an impatient roll of his eyes.

"We are not working directly with the Mystic Falls Police Department," he spit. "We have our own... resources."

"Oh."

My eyes dropped to my lap, and I nervously fingered the silver dragonfly dangling from my bracelet. It was a gift from my grandmother before she passed, and it normally brought me peace to feel it resting against my wrist.

However, I felt no peace at the moment, no serenity. There was only the fluttering of my tummy as the ferris wheel began to turn. I watched the excitement of the fair below us, lights swirling around the park against the night sky.

Then his warm hand wrapped around mine.

"Our only goal is to keep you safe and protected at all times. No matter the cost."

I lifted my gaze to meet his intense chocolate brown stare.

"So.. what does that mean? That I'll have a bodyguard following me around? I work at an elementary school with small children."

I couldn't fathom walking into my classroom Monday morning with a giant man trailing behind me. The poor kids would be terrified.

"We feel it's best if you take some time off from work, at least until we know more about what's going on." His eyes were locked on mine, and the low, raspy tone of his voice was making my pulse race.