33. Holiday Decorations

Maddie's POV

"A little to the left!" I shouted, my voice carrying upwards into the cloudy sky towards the roof.

Three men, attached to the house with bungee cords, swung above the front window placing a massive wreath in place. It was at least fifteen feet across. I had to go a size up because the smaller one wasn't doing the front entrance justice.

It was starting to snow a little but wasn't that cold. I just wrapped myself up some more in my large jacket as I watched them fasten Christmas decorations to my house. Hundreds of feet of garland were being carefully draped and wreaths were going in every window. Lights weren't arriving until tomorrow, and I couldn't wait to see it all completed.

I had taken over decorating for the holidays. I always liked Christmas, but with my last five being in Brazil, I didn't really feel the need for winter festivities. Now, things were different. Freddie and his family, along with Rebecca and Greg were coming to spend a couple of days with us so I wanted the house to be perfect. I had an enormous party to plan with a guest list of over four hundred. That was more than I had at my wedding! Plus, it was the babies' first Christmas, which was a big deal for me.

I was determined to make it perfect and have the most attractive house on the block. It was a competition that I was going to win, even if it killed me. There was this bitch of a woman down the street who had a golden sleigh delivered yesterday along with a giant movable Santa.

I was going for the more classic look; forest greens and bright reds.

Justin was staying out of it all. Sometimes I thought he could give Scrooge a run for his money. He'd always liked Christmas before, but something was up that he wasn't telling me. He would always go into the hallway to whisper with Jaxon and then pretend like nothing was wrong. Liars.

But I currently couldn't think about that. I had to watch the twenty or so men crawling on top of my roof. I was worried that someone would fall. That was the last thing we needed right now.

"Ma'am, I think we're almost done for the day," one of the senior members of the group said to me. "We'll be back tomorrow with the lights."

"Thank you so much for all of this."

"Maddie!" a voice interrupted us from above.

I looked above to see Justin sticking his head out of his office window.

"What?" I called to him.

"Can you tell them to shut the fuck up? I can't get any work done with them hammering away!"

"They're almost done for the day. Hold on."

"Are you heading this whole operation?" Justin pointed to the man next to me.

"Yes, sir. We talked on the phone."

"Right, well, is there anything you can do about this noise?"

"Um... not really, sir."

"Justin, just close the window."

"Fine." He slammed it with a cantankerous gruff.

I apologetically shrugged.

Justin reappeared, "And watch the dog! He's been chewing through garland for the past ten minutes!"

I ran to get Francis, who was currently gnawing to his heart's content on furry plants. Thank God they were fake.

"You know better." I lifted him up, having to use some strength. He was kind of heavy now. "I'm sorry about that."

"It's no problem." The man smiled. "Can I have you sign this?"