First Losses

After a week, everyone seemed well-acquainted with the base's equipment. The sergeants designated the first group of four to begin field research and they were deployed into the freezing terrain. Their instructions demanded that they report back to base every twenty minutes – for safety purposes – even though we had satellites monitoring them.

It's never really enough, though, is it?

"Corporal Taite," Sergeant Courin said in lieu of a greeting. "How are the signals fairing? When was the last check in?"

"Signal readings seem fine, Sir," Cameron replied. He kept his eyes on the monitors ever afraid he might miss something and jeopardize the mission. "Every now and again it just looks like wind or snow interfere temporarily with connectivity. But otherwise not bad! Last check in was seventeen minutes ago, Sir."

"Hmph, very well, Taite. But I was informed that these monitors do not pick up snow or wind activity."

Cameron shrugged and sighed exasperatedly, "I guess even perfect technology can't be perfect? It really is quite subtle, Sir. Shouldn't get in the way of any legitimate readings."

Sergeant Courin nodded and mumbled affirmatives. He was a man in his late forties, hair almost entirely white, with a thunder-deep voice scratchy like static from former years as a die-hard smoker. These days he would give any soldier a look of fatherly shame for even holding a friend's cigarette and encouraged quitting on the basis of stronger soldiers.

Two minutes too early the scouting troupe checked in.

"If Sergeant Courin or Shank are present, we are calling to request permission to investigate a cave. It lies evident on the south face of the mountain, about eighteen feet tall and twenty feet wide." It was Lieutenant David Black's voice and he sounded very excited.

Sergeant Courin took the microphone to reply, "Lieutenant Black, do you see any evidence that this cave may be unsafe or benign and undeserving of actual investigation? Is this the first cave that you have seen?"

"No, Sir. We have seen several before this one. Corporal Taite should have a list of at least a dozen other locations all within the first mile of the base.

"Corporal Taite has shown me this list. Can you discern anything of importance about the cave formation or potential inhabitants?"

Black replied eagerly, "Sir, there are what look to be primarily fish bones littered around the cave's floor even at the entrance. Also, tufts of down in the snow – black, brown, and other coloring – are scattered all over."

"Well, Black, it sounds like a bird's dwelling. Were the other caves similar? Probably best to avoid a search at this time. A bird in this climate is most certainly large, territorial, and predatory," Courin replied. He seemed visibly relieved.

Black hesitated but called back, affirmed that they would not enter the cave, sounding very disappointed.

"He's an adventurous lad, ain't he Anderes?"

"It would seem so, Sir. Never fails to make the rest of us feel our hesitations a little bit more."

"Ha. I think it's about time the scouts return anyways. Somet-"

"Sir! Sergeant Courin!" Courin lunged for the microphone.

"Black? Answer me, Black!"

"Sir, we're picking up activity from inside the cave. Thermal sensors detect something hot moving outward and slowly."

"Black, I'm warning you – ordering you – to back away and retreat quickly. Do not allow the men you are leading to encounter something unnecessarily dangerous. That is your responsibility because this is not your mission alone."

"I understand, Sir. But it seems like it's more scared of us. It's still moving very slowly," Black whispered.

"Black! Retreat! Do not disobey these orders. Nothing out there is afraid of us, you hear me? You need to be afraid of what's out there."

There was a long silence and no reply. Sergeant Courin's words fell on deaf ears. He seethed furiously at the red light blinking on the monitor signaling the active connection. A full minute passed before a response was received.

"Serge. You aren't going to believe what we found. It's finally leaving the cave."

Courin spoke quickly and quietly, "Lieutenant, this is your commanding officer ordering you to retreat immediately. We are nowhere near you to act as backup and you have no defensive resources in the event of unfortunate events. Use your head, Lieutenant."

"Sir, I-," the connection glitched and became a mess of static and crunching snow. Eventually we could make out the sounds of heavy panting, distant screaming, and pounding boots through icy build-up.

"Sergeant."

"Be quiet, Anderes."

"Sir, I mean – "

"Anderes!"

"Sergeant Courin!" came a muffled cry from the speakers. Everyone still on base gathered close to the speakers, held their breath, and listened intently to the pointless battle between Courin and Black. It was quiet like mourning.

"Black..."

A pause. Then, "sir...oh my god. Please, save me." His words were stupid with gurgling as if he had a mouth of blood and broken bone.

"Black?!"

"God, please, save me!" A rapid succession of screaming, ripping, crunching snow – perhaps bones – and silence followed. Sergeant Courin spoke needlessly into the microphone for another thirty minutes. Not once did he hear another cry for help. By that time it was dark and evening dinner was underway with zero enthusiasm. Courin needed to be guided away from the microphone into the cafeteria. It was not often that a man familiar with war experienced shock, but this situation did not occur often.

We watched him sit, saw a look of annoyance and self-loathing washed over him, and saw him stand again. Needless to say he did not need to ask for our attention, so he began to speak.

"As of this moment we are four men fewer. We will not be informing their next of kin until after tomorrow when we have a chance to search for their...location. As of now, they could very easily still be alive and –"

"Then why aren't we out there looking?"

"If they aren't dead yet they're definitely injured and will be by tomorrow!"

These interruptions persisted in the same manner until Courin reminded them that in the dark and on foot they were aimless prey looking to die at the whim of whatever was in those caves. He carefully backtracked his claim of possible survival and left things vague. They would try to find them tomorrow, and dead or alive was implied.

"So," Courin began, regaining control of his audience. "In the future, this isn't going to happen, again. You will all listen to and respect orders, value preservation of life above curiosity and pride, and aspire to get through this mission as swiftly as possible. If there is even a small disturbance in any new readings, I intend to be informed. Long disturbances, lost signals, and static included. Have I made myself perfectly clear?"

There was a synchronized response of "yes, Sir" and dinner recommenced.