Chapter Four

Crowley's dark hair and tan skin were beginning to grow on him, and it seemed (judging by the turning heads and lingering looks) that his peers were fond of them too. They ogled his car up and down as well. He didn't see what the fuss was about. Didn't the other students drive Queen-blasting Bentleys? If he and his best friend had not been arguing, he would've walked into that school with the same energy of a drugged snail. But that wasn't the case, now was it? He and his friend were arguing. So, naturally, the demon rushed into the school in search of his angel, leaving no stone unturned. But after an hour or so of peering into classrooms and scoping out the cafeteria, he decided that Aziraphale had chosen either to leave or not show up today. The former would be too reckless for him, he wouldn't leave a job unfinished. So, Crowley decided to look where one goes to look for an angel.

"Fancy finding you here." He said, stepping cautiously through the litter and debris.

"Yes, well, here I am." Aziraphale said coolly as he put his litter picker to work and went collecting every individual piece of rubbish and depositing it in his trash bag.

"Are you actually doing this for fun?"

"Well, yes. I'm helping keep the environment clean. Plus," he said, eyes glistening as he looked over at Crowley, "I may get extra credit for it in class."

"You don't even go to class!"

"Oh, right. Well, there's no harm in trying to save the planet."

"I'd like to see you save the planet."

"Who knows? Maybe one day I will."

"You wouldn't be able to on your own."

"I know, I tend to need a friend when it comes to the important things." Aziraphale was building up to something, Crowley could tell. "Especially a friend like you."

Crowley took off the shades to look into the angel's eyes. "You can count on me, angel." Aziraphale let out a sigh of relief and smiled from ear to ear. "I know I can, dear."